Author Topic: 'DJ Heaven' TV series...anyone remember it?  (Read 2055 times)

Offline Anselm

• Apprentice member
  • Music all went downhill after 1989....
'DJ Heaven' TV series...anyone remember it?
« on: April 17, 2004, 00:35:01 AM »
About 10 years ago, the BBC broadcast a six-part series called 'DJ Heaven' which each week focused on a different Radio One DJ from years gone by (Mike Read, DLT, Simon Bates) etc, and did a little profile of them, then showed loads of rare clips of them introducing bands on TOTP in the 80s.

Anyone remember it? Anyone got a better quality version of it than me? I'd love to hear what people thought of it. I don't think it ever was repeated....

Offline SoftCell

• Pure80s Elite
  • Welcome to Pure80spop
Re:'DJ Heaven' Tv series...anyone remember it?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2004, 23:55:35 PM »
Yes, I remember the show.

I'm pretty sure it was on in 1993, and it hasn't been repeated since.

I haven't got any of it on video unfortunately.

I think the idea of the show was as a kind of tribute to some of the "old guard" of DJ's like Bates and DLT who were being kicked out of Radio One. It was the end of the Smashey and Nicey era.

(I happen to actually prefer the old guard to the new guys!)

I enjoyed the six part series, but it would have been nice to have a bit more of an in-depth look at the DJ's themselves rather than just featuring them briefly introducing old TOTP clips.

If the programme had also featured an interview with the DJ's and gone into a bit more detail about their careers, it would have been more enjoyable in my opinion.

I remember clearly the Simon Bates edition, because one of the tracks he introduced, while wearing his trademark dodgy beige jacket, was Soft Cell's 'Home Is Where The Heart Is' - a brilliant track from 1982.

Offline Anselm

• Apprentice member
  • Music all went downhill after 1989....
Re:'DJ Heaven' Tv series...anyone remember it?
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2004, 19:21:30 PM »
At last someone who remembers it!!
 :D

Yes, I agree with you about too much focus on the old clips and not enough on the DJs themselves. Funnily enough it was broadcast at a time when Matthew Bannister was forcing them all out of Radio One....

I have managed to transfer my (decent quality) copy to DVD, but if anyone out there has a NICAM one, let me know.

Cheers,
Anselm.