Author Topic: Your Top Ten Gigs by 80's Bands  (Read 5249 times)

Offline cammyb

• Pure80s Elite
  • Welcome to Pure80spop
    • Off The Telly
Your Top Ten Gigs by 80's Bands
« on: February 28, 2004, 03:11:27 AM »
Just thinking that it would be intertesting for everyone to post their fave gigs by 80's bands. For the record, I'd state thus;

10 - Feargal Sharkey at the Glasgow Barrowlands circa Oct/Nov, 1985. Perhaps my greatest single Barrowland memory was when Feargal launched into "Listen To Your Father" and the crowd, to a manjack, went quite, quite ballistic. As the song was being played, Feargal quite clearly got into the whole vibe and gave it much welly. When it ended he declared that it had been so good that they would do it again. And they did!

9 - Robert Palmer at Tiffany's, Glasgow circa 1983. A roomful of lusting women and a man with a voice that could charm angels. "Pride" and "Johnny & Mary" were bloody brilliant.

8 - Midge Ure at the Renfrew Ferry last year. Bugger me, the wee man can sing.

7 - Julian Cope on the St. Julian tour at the Barrowlands. For me, he began to disappear up his own archibald after this. Brilliant set liberally sprinkled with old Teardrop numbers.

6 - ABC at King Tuts about 3 years ago. Small venue, big voice. Magnificent.

5 - China Crisis at Bourbon St., Glasgow. Faded Eighties stars play the chicken-in-a-basket circuit and storm the place. Arizona Sky has never sounded so good.

4 - Echo & The Bunnymen at the Barrowlands on the Evergreen tour. With the Bunnymen it's either brilliant or bollocks. That night they scaled the heights.

3 - Deacon Blue, 1989 at Berkley Campus, University of California, San Francisco. On the cusp of fame and fortune and me and my mate were the only two people in the place who had heard of them. Great banter with the band and, as ever, great set.

2 - Thompson Twins at Wembley Arena, "Into The Gap" set. At the height of their powers and one of the great performances from an 80's band. Pure pop played with power, precision and poise.

And my winner is...............

1 - Pete Wylie at King Tuts around 3/4 years ago. The Mouth of the Mersey, The Liverpool Lip - call him what you will but what a show. Packed and the lads were wigging out in the front row and we whipped the crowd into a frenzy. Story of The Blues, Sinful, Heart As Big As..he played them all and 'fessed up that it was one of the best gigs he had ever played.

Offline DIVA NO1

• Pure80s Elite
Re:Your Top Ten Gigs by 80's Bands
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2004, 16:50:25 PM »
I have a confession to make & it will probably stun you all, as much as I love music, and I do, I have never been to a live gig :o :o :cwm29: :'(

Offline AndrewR

• The Quiz Master
  • Global Moderator
  • Pure80s Elite
    • Andrew Reids Rail Photos 2006 - 2008
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2004, 17:02:34 PM »
I can't answer this as I've only been to 1 gig - David Bowie, SECC Glasgow, 28th Nov 2003!

Offline PG_Tips

• Founder member of the Manhattan Morris Men
  • Pure80s Elite
  • Start spreading the news...
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2004, 18:32:36 PM »
Haven't been to that many gigs by 80s bands although been to a fair few gigs - U2 at Wembley in about 1998 on the PopMart tour were brill though, did about 30 tracks over two and a half hours, ranging from I Will Follow through to Discotheque and at least one track from every album inbetween including all the faves.
I'm an ape man, I'm an ape ape man, I'm an ape man
I'm a King Kong man, I'm a voo-doo man
I'm an ape man  I'll be your Tarzan, you'll be my Jane  I'll keep you warm and you'll keep me sane  and we'll sit in the trees and eat bananas all day  Just like an ape man

Offline Cleo

• Black Country Wench
  • Pure80s Elite
  • Pointy ​sticks? Nah I'd rather use sharp wit...
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2004, 18:48:52 PM »
I have the opposite problem...went to so many gigs in the 80's couldn't possibly rank them...Erasure has to be one of the best though...saw them in 1989 and 2003 and they were equally brilliant both times.

Saw Japan 5 times...The Jam 7 times...most of the punk bands at least once, same for New Romantics...plus a few mod groups. Also seen Tom Jones a couple of times.

Yes I know. I have wide tastes.

Offline PG_Tips

• Founder member of the Manhattan Morris Men
  • Pure80s Elite
  • Start spreading the news...
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2004, 19:21:54 PM »
Also seen Tom Jones a couple of times.

Yes I know. I have wide tastes.

And very few remaining pairs of knickers... ;D
I'm an ape man, I'm an ape ape man, I'm an ape man
I'm a King Kong man, I'm a voo-doo man
I'm an ape man  I'll be your Tarzan, you'll be my Jane  I'll keep you warm and you'll keep me sane  and we'll sit in the trees and eat bananas all day  Just like an ape man

Offline Cleo

• Black Country Wench
  • Pure80s Elite
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2004, 19:49:45 PM »
 :o

...and how would you know that then young chimp? :-\

Offline simes1970

• Pure80s Elite
  • Welcome to Pure80spop
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2004, 20:14:54 PM »
The only bands I have seen live are Depeche Mode,Erasure,
Big Country and the Christians

Offline andrea

• Dizzy blonde
  • Part Time Staff
  • Pure80s Elite
  • Champion Reflexer
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2004, 20:33:24 PM »
After reading Cammy B's post,I thought every one would be the same and I'd look sad with my few,but thankfully not everyone is as well'gigged'
My first concert was in the 70's-Showaddywaddy
Next was 5 star at NEC in the 80's
I have seen UB40 several times-the best one was at St.Andrews(B'ham City ground) where they were supported by several bands inc.Robert Palmer and Rankin'Roger,it went on all day and the weather was lovely
The best concert i have been to though was Madness at Finsbury Park-with Ian Dury and the Blockheads and Morrissey-fab day-the only problemwas we couldn't find the car afterwards!
And of course Jason last night(although more of a PA than a concert)

Offline Cleo

• Black Country Wench
  • Pure80s Elite
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2004, 17:21:24 PM »
Jason? What...our Jason? Off here? Where was he playing? What did he sing? Was he any good?

Offline JASON

• Pure80s Elite
  • Big Brother
    • Blackpoolweb
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2004, 17:30:01 PM »
I believe i was terrible.............all i remember is getting a bottle thrown at me on stage and it knocked me out..(i'll get that 12 year old if it kills me)...my band carried on without me until the riot cops arrived and broke up the teenagers and the mums from fighting!

lol

Offline andrea

• Dizzy blonde
  • Part Time Staff
  • Pure80s Elite
  • Champion Reflexer
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2004, 10:40:05 AM »
It wasn't a 12yr old it was me!

Offline Norma

• Pure80s Elite
  • Reasons to be Cheerful 1 2 3
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2004, 15:42:50 PM »
Lots of gigs...don't know if I could ever Top Ten them but here's a list
Echo & The Bunnymen at the Barrowlands on the Evergreen tour. I was at that gig and they were on form.
U2 at SECC 1984 - superb
Texas @ Glasgow School of Art 1985ish
Deacon Blue everywhere! Never seen them do a bad gig and we were on the guest list for loads of them.
Aztec Camera at Barrowlands with Mick Jones from Clash/BAD memorable.
Van Morrison at Stirling Castle last year...sunset over the castle and mellow tones.

After much thought, my favourite gig would probably be Elvis Costello at Pavilion in Glasgow supported by Nick Lowe - just fantastic and he played for ages.

onlyhuman

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2004, 21:00:23 PM »
Well any time I see the Human League it's just FANTASTIC, but on their last tour they were supported by the wonderful John Foxx and Louis Gordon and I have to say that they were the best support act I have ever seen. If you get a chance to see them perform live I thoroughly recommend them. John Foxx was somebody that passed me by in the eighties (unfortunatley) but thanks to that tour I'm well into him.