Author Topic: Belouis Some  (Read 6168 times)

Offline 80s4eva

• Welcome to Pure80spop
Belouis Some
« on: March 17, 2004, 12:02:27 PM »
Whatever happened to Belouis Some?  

The song that everyone will know by our Neville is "Imagination" (which also has the perviest 80s video ever), however he carried on releasing some really good tunes through the 80s to the mid 90s, then nothing!!!  Anyone info appreciated.

Offline AndrewR

• The Quiz Master
  • Global Moderator
  • Pure80s Elite
    • Andrew Reids Rail Photos 2006 - 2008
Re:Belouis Some
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2004, 12:05:34 PM »
Belouis Some was probably the least-known act on 1986's Pretty in Pink soundtrack, an assemblage of previously unfamiliar new wave darlings such as the Psychedelic Furs, Echo & the Bunnymen, and the Smiths. However, with his spiky hairdo and booming voice, Some was able to earn his own 15 minutes of MTV fame. Born Neville Keighley, Some released his first LP, Some People, in 1985. The title track was a club hit. Although Some's contribution to the Pretty in Pink soundtrack, "Round, Round," did not penetrate the mainstream, it introduced Some to an audience outside of discotheques. Produced by Bernard Edwards, "Round, Round" had enough electric guitars to seduce rock fans while maintaining the interest of the dance crowd with its pounding groove. "Imagination," a song from Some People, was reissued in 1986, peaking at number 17 on the U.K. pop charts. Both "Some People" and "Imagination" were remixed several times. In 1987, Some recorded his self-titled second album, but it failed to duplicate the success of his debut. Some then disappeared from the music scene, lost in an '80s "Where Are They Now?" file until 1993 when he released Living Your Life. Still devoted to his club roots, Living Your Life found Some embracing techno.

Offline cammyb

• Pure80s Elite
  • Welcome to Pure80spop
    • Off The Telly
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2004, 12:06:07 PM »
I lurved thta video!It is being covered though......

http://www.ilikemusic.co.uk/article.asp?fdSectionid=3+&fdArticleId=623

Offline 80s4eva

• Welcome to Pure80spop
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2004, 12:12:47 PM »
Thanks for the bio Andrew.

I liked the video loads, I was 13 at the time and to say my eyes popped out of my head is an understatement.

There was a cover of Imagination released last year by a group called Harry but it missed the top 40

Offline LISTER

• Pure80s Elite
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2004, 14:01:45 PM »
I remember seeing that video for the first time on the Max Headroom show, but it was censored to buggery and I didn't know why. I saw it again about two weeks later on the tube or the word or something like that and.....WAAAYHEEEEY!!!!

SMASHIN!!!

Offline Norma

• Pure80s Elite
  • Reasons to be Cheerful 1 2 3
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2004, 14:25:45 PM »
Loved that single and I don't think it sounds too dated either. Unfortunately my 7" copy has developed a little jump which is most annoying!

Offline SeaBass

• Apprentice member
  • Welcome to Pure80spop
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2004, 04:14:42 AM »
i actually have very fond memories of this act.  i wore out my cassette version of his debut LP.  it is a classic 80's fusion of pop, rock & dance.  album #2 got off to a good start with Let It Be With You, another slice of vintage 80's.  however, the 2nd album was somewhat disappointing.

does anyone else remember neville's stint as a swatch spokesperson?

Offline BobToo

• Pure80s Elite
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2004, 20:08:18 PM »
He supported Queen, Status Quo and Big Country at Knebworth in August 1986. He was bombarded with bottles of wee for the entire duration of his set.

Offline Popmom

• Welcome to Pure80spop
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2004, 15:16:46 PM »
Remember the Swatch years well ... worked for the co that made that arrangement.  Nev was managed at the time by the Kurbishleys, who managed that minor act "The Who."  (Yes, read sarcasm.)  Probably the reason that Nev got as much attention by record co's and clubs.  He was fairly talented and much fun - would love to know where he has gone, as I wonder about many of those one-hit-wonders I knew and loved in the 80's.  MTV nad VH1 have missed many of them.

PS - that Swatch promo was followed by Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam - remember them?

Offline Insomniak

• Apprentice member
  • Ninja Skills
    • FRANKIE SAY RELAX Tshirts
Re: Belouis Some
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2005, 21:00:02 PM »

Thanks for the bio, I enjoyed Round,Round on the Pretty in Pink soundtrack but never heard of him before or after although I was looking.