Author Topic: DARTS THREAD!!!!!  (Read 20802 times)

Offline Shytot

• My Other Can is Codswallop
  • Pure80s Elite
  • Hi ho Silver away - Ride into tomorrow today
Re:Darts THREAD!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2004, 11:54:43 AM »
I thought that Come Back My Love was their best song, although Duke of Earl was also a very good song.

They're album - Everybody Loves Darts - obviously doesn't apply to this thread ;D

Offline Viscount Discount

• Heir to a crumbling biscuit empire ....
  • Staff
  • Pure80s Elite
  • Don't stop the dance...
Re: DARTS THREAD!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2007, 17:06:32 PM »
At last the PDC v BDO arguments should have been settled.   The bloke who wasn't good enough to win the BDO last year was able to beat the bloke who has won the PDC 13 times.  ;)
Bang bang, the mighty fall ...

• Staff
  • Pure80s Elite
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2007, 20:26:51 PM »
What an absolutely brilliant final!  Best of 13 and Adams was leading 6-0 when suddenly the 150/1 outsider came back and won the next six sets!  However in the end he sort of bottled it while 'Wolfie' held his nerve to clinch the title.

I was rooting for the Geordie fella whereas Viscountess was backing Wolfie.

Offline Lord Villa

• Don't quote me on that
  • Pure80s Elite
  • Never forget
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2007, 17:07:08 PM »
Why are there two world champonships of darts, seems a bit odd.

• Staff
  • Pure80s Elite
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2007, 16:55:05 PM »
In 1992, Eric Bristow, Phil Taylor and a number of other players accepted an offer to earn more money by signing themselves up exclusively to midget gangster Barry Hearn's management company which had made a deal with low-quality broadcaster Sky to hold a rival version of the World Championship.

Sky had become piqued with the BDO, which represents British darters at all levels of ability and is affiliated to the international body that controls the sport, because the BDO wasn't keen to let broadcasting rights go to Sky, thus depriving non Murdoch subscribers of a chance to see their sport.

Anyone who works their way up the rankings, can play at the BDO final - thus it is a more inclusive and reflective competition, akin to the FA Cup.

The PDC, by contrast, is a 'flying circus' of largely has-beens and other players who have accepted Sky's filthy lucre.

Sky claims that its competition is the best contest, but by that reasoning LA Galaxy must be the world's best football team as they have the world's highest-paid player on their books.

Offline luckynickd

• Indigo Eyes
  • Pure80s Elite
  • it nearly went off in my hands
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2007, 21:38:11 PM »
...it's not really a sport, now is it?

even if Dexy's Midnight Runners did do a good tribute single to one of the all-time greats  :laugh:

• Staff
  • Pure80s Elite
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2007, 21:55:47 PM »
Been officially recognized as a sport.

I personally think iot ought to be in the Olympics.

Let's face it, it's more relevant to people's lives than fencing or synchronized swimming (to name but two Olympic oddities).

Offline luckynickd

• Indigo Eyes
  • Pure80s Elite
  • it nearly went off in my hands
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2007, 22:05:15 PM »
fair point...how about Arguing - Mixed Doubles or Queueing?

we'd be quite good at those...

• Staff
  • Pure80s Elite
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2007, 22:06:38 PM »
Conkers might guarantee us a gold.  :)

Offline RON

• Pure80s Elite
  • Welcome to Pure80spop
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2007, 11:55:01 AM »

I have to say that i prefer watching sky's PDC event more , mainly because it has the 2 best darts players in the world in it ( Phil -the power-Taylor and Ramond - barny - Barneveld) . I watch both competitions and usually get frustrated at how bad some of the players are in the BDO .
who is kyser soze

Offline Lord Villa

• Don't quote me on that
  • Pure80s Elite
  • Never forget
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2007, 14:27:40 PM »
In 1992, Eric Bristow, Phil Taylor and a number of other players accepted an offer to earn more money by signing themselves up exclusively to midget gangster Barry Hearn's management company which had made a deal with low-quality broadcaster Sky to hold a rival version of the World Championship.

Sky had become piqued with the BDO, which represents British darters at all levels of ability and is affiliated to the international body that controls the sport, because the BDO wasn't keen to let broadcasting rights go to Sky, thus depriving non Murdoch subscribers of a chance to see their sport.

Anyone who works their way up the rankings, can play at the BDO final - thus it is a more inclusive and reflective competition, akin to the FA Cup.

The PDC, by contrast, is a 'flying circus' of largely has-beens and other players who have accepted Sky's filthy lucre.

Sky claims that its competition is the best contest, but by that reasoning LA Galaxy must be the world's best football team as they have the world's highest-paid player on their books.

Thanks Viscount, so you don't think there is ever a chance that maybe the BDO would take Sky's money, would Taylor and the others be on their arses then without the PDC championship.

• Staff
  • Pure80s Elite
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2007, 14:41:10 PM »
The BDO is dependent on its tournaments being free-to-air and I think they'd be barking if they decided to sign for Sky.  4/5ths of darts telly audience would be gone and the sport would wither away in the same way that boxing has.

IF the two organisations held a unified championship - and a government minister called for that, recently - then you'd not get one man dominate in the way that Phil Taylor has at the PDC.

Don't get me wrong, he's an exceptional player - but remember that this year he was beaten by a man who wasn't good enough to win the BDO final in 2005.

Offline Lord Villa

• Don't quote me on that
  • Pure80s Elite
  • Never forget
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2007, 15:51:41 PM »
The BDO is dependent on its tournaments being free-to-air and I think they'd be barking if they decided to sign for Sky.  4/5ths of darts telly audience would be gone and the sport would wither away in the same way that boxing has.

IF the two organisations held a unified championship - and a government minister called for that, recently - then you'd not get one man dominate in the way that Phil Taylor has at the PDC.

Don't get me wrong, he's an exceptional player - but remember that this year he was beaten by a man who wasn't good enough to win the BDO final in 2005.

It does seem to make a mockery of the Sport having it split in two like that, perhaps it would be better to have the proper World Championship, the BDO Final and have the PDC championship for those players who want to take Sky's money, in much the same way in England, the FA run the FA Cup and the Football League run the League Cup. Ie all darts players could compete in both championships .

Offline PoisonArrow

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2009, 23:11:40 PM »
No one has posted here in an age but wanted to say something about the 'Grandslam' darts today.

Bearing in mind all the previous posts should point out I fall on the BDO side of things, prefer the tradition over the presentation of the PDC contests. Plus I prefer legs and sets. That said, I watched Phil Taylor take apart a great BDO darts player in Scott Waites and he (Phil) is extraordinary.

I can't see how amateur players like Scott will ever stay at the BDO when the PDC come knocking and make you an offer that means you can do it for a living and therefore practice more etc etc. The BDO have a lot to answer for for sticking to their guns all those year's ago. The darts was great today but the vulgar presentation, the drunken crowd singing while players were throwing, the sycophantic deification of Phil Taylor by the commentators, it just doesn't sit well with me.... Anyway, well done Scott and will look forward to the World Championship at the Lakeside in January!!

Offline PoisonArrow

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2010, 11:50:57 AM »
Anyone watching the darts? Cracking matches for Martin Adams and Scott Waites yesterday. Several 'dark horses' lurking about too. Still want Ted Hankey to defend his title though. I love this time of year!  :)

Though on the downside they've stopped using "Poison Arrow" for the post match montages  :(