Author Topic: THE ONLY FOOTBALL THREAD!  (Read 425032 times)

Offline bigbaldbloke

• Cryptic Song Title Quiz Obsessive.
  • Pure80s Elite
  • Go on, I dare ya.
Re: THE ONLY FOOTBALL THREAD!
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2007, 06:18:42 AM »
My, what an interesting read chaps.

My feelings, as a United fan & patriot, are as follows (and please believe me when I say that I'm the most objective United fan that you'll "meet"):

To this day, I believe that Rooney did not intend to trample on certain testicular tissue, I think that he had already been fouled twice and was trying to thrust away from his opponents.

The reaction of the Portugese players was typical of the Continental norm, Ronaldo included.

The wink was a quick gesture to the bench, saying, IMHO, "We've just gained a hell of an advantage here". If that hadn't been caught on film, the Pap wouldn't have found the scapegoat that we English always need to cover up the fact that we're not good enough.

Wazza & Ronaldo were in contact with each other via mobile after the game. There was never a problem between them, just hype from the press. The English United players are professionals. I don't know if there was a clear the air talk, but they got on with focussing on United's success & Ronaldo is crucial to that. I'd rather see that than them all snub him over a wink.

Ronaldo himself has his theatrical moments. I hate them. But he has cut them down and I hope that that continues. What we also have to take into account is that, with the speed he goes at, any contact can flip him over and this season we've seen him just get up & get on with it.

He has also been one of the best players in the league this year I reckon. If he was English, he'd be getting at least as much praise as Wazza.

And as for the "Anyone But England" mentality? I remember the ABU days. They're still there to some extent, but I think it's becoming more ABC now. It's part of the tribalism that is the very essence of being a football supporter.

I once read that men follow football as we're the warring gender &, in the absence of a battle, football is our substitute. I agree with that. I boo Gerard & Lampard in every league game that United play them. Would I want them in our team? Damn straight!

Offline Viscount Discount

• Heir to a crumbling biscuit empire ....
  • Staff
  • Pure80s Elite
  • Don't stop the dance...
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2007, 09:44:16 AM »
You're right about the tribal thing, BBB.

But while I may have a laugh to myself about Bristol Rovers' continuing calamities I wouldn't bother watching their games to cheer on their opponents!

I've always thought that Christiano Ronaldo is a great player BTW. But that doesn't mean that he isn't also a cheating ****.  ;)  Ditto Van Nistelrooy.  ;D

The sad thing about the World Cup was that it proved conclusively that cheats prosper. I think a number of Premiership players - from all clubs - drew that conclusion too and as a consequent the level of cheating has increased.

Going back to domestic matter:  It was nice to see Wycombe score last night, wasn't it?  :)

Bang bang, the mighty fall ...

Offline luckynickd

• Indigo Eyes
  • Pure80s Elite
  • it nearly went off in my hands
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2007, 20:11:34 PM »
are we all friends again now?

anyhoos, is it true that Beckham is off to some pisspot yank club? Sky just mentioned it...i thought he try and make at a big club like Forest or GM as he managed to win cock-all with Madrid  :cheesy:

Offline andrea

• Dizzy blonde
  • Part Time Staff
  • Pure80s Elite
  • Champion Reflexer
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2007, 20:28:20 PM »

And Ronaldo is still a total tosser

I didn't say he wasn't a good player either,because anyone can see he's quite brilliant. Doesn't mean to say he's not a tosser though  :)

I'm glad Beckham's off to America,I bet the twiglet had a lot to do with that decision.  ::)

Offline StrangerWithin

• Administrator
  • Pure80s Elite
  • Do I Tweet? Do I F***!!!
    • KitchenRefits
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2007, 20:38:59 PM »
anyhoos, is it true that Beckham is off to some pisspot yank club?

This is true according to the intellectually challenged great man himself. Of course he see's it as a great opportunity to encourage the growth of football in the USA. The fact he will be on 70K a day has naff all to do with the move ::)

I have the body of a 19 year old. I keep it in the fridge.......................

Offline luckynickd

• Indigo Eyes
  • Pure80s Elite
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2007, 21:18:59 PM »
£70k a day sounds good in principle but he still has to wake up to that brain dead muppet...

I am shocked that you chaps have questioned his motives...money driven you say....i think it's because he wants to become an ambassador for FiFA and do good deeds in the new world

i give it 2 months before some ho's pop a cap in his ass and jack his wheels...word up mofos...you heard it hear first!

Offline Lord Villa

• Don't quote me on that
  • Pure80s Elite
  • Never forget
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2007, 15:36:22 PM »
To be fair to BBB, he is the only United fan I've some accross who isn't arrogant and smug and he seems like a nice guy.

What does annoy me is people who have no connection with Manchester or who have never been to Old Trafford, saying I, other Villa supporters and supporters of less successful teams are somehow sad for supporting our local club.

Offline This Charming Man

• Not just any old wan*er......
  • Pure80s Elite
  • I love sex, drugs and sausage rolls
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2007, 23:10:13 PM »
Lord Villa... I see your city rival's game at St Andrews tomorrow has been called off due to a waterlogged pitch.

Not suprising really, have you seen the state of it?  ???

Offline luckynickd

• Indigo Eyes
  • Pure80s Elite
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2007, 08:26:50 AM »
is Pat Rice in the starting XI?

• Staff
  • Pure80s Elite
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2007, 11:04:30 AM »
And Paddy Crerand.

Offline luckynickd

• Indigo Eyes
  • Pure80s Elite
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2007, 09:32:26 AM »
we are top of the league - again!

• Staff
  • Pure80s Elite
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2007, 15:07:13 PM »

Offline andrea

• Dizzy blonde
  • Part Time Staff
  • Pure80s Elite
  • Champion Reflexer
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2007, 20:57:30 PM »
Nice one Visc,at least someone's team is doing well.

Offline andrea

• Dizzy blonde
  • Part Time Staff
  • Pure80s Elite
  • Champion Reflexer
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2007, 21:20:36 PM »
I take it the Bluenoses have just scored again,judging from the shreiks of delight coming from next door.
Ooh,just looked at BBC,they ARE doing well.

Offline Lord Villa

• Don't quote me on that
  • Pure80s Elite
  • Never forget
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2007, 17:17:36 PM »
Thanks, TCM, has given me a good laugh after a depressing day.

The unwashed boasting about beating a very poor Newcastle team last night, hopefully Reading will depose of them in the fourth round.