Author Topic: A Motorsport Thread  (Read 56877 times)

Offline JASON

• Pure80s Elite
  • Big Brother
    • Blackpoolweb
Re:A Motorsport Thread
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2004, 13:15:16 PM »
The worst fears of the various Michelin runners came true at the Bahrain International Circuit, as Ferrari romped to a 1-2, with Michael Schumacher collecting his third straight win of the 2004 season.

The German took off at the start of the 57-lap race and was only headed during the three pit-stops that followed. Rubens Barrichello was also second throughout, with the exception of the strategy, and headed Jenson Button to the chequered flag by a comfortable margin.

Button took his second consecutive podium after catching and passing Juan Montoya's Williams, which went sick with brake and engine problems, in the latter stages. The Colombian also dropped behind Jarno Trulli, Takuma Sato, Fernando Alonso before the chequered flag, while Button could not have expected to be any higher, despite losing slight advantages over his rivals at his first two pit-stops.

Sato, Alonso and Schumacher - who took sixth spot - all incorporated unscheduled stops into their race strategy, the BAR and Renault for new front wings and Schumacher for a precautionary suspension check after collecting the Japanese driver during a passing move. All three recovered - Alonso after starting at the very back - to take points finishes.

Mark Webber caught and passed the ailing Montoya at the death to secure a points finish for Jaguar, but there was no representation from McLaren, which posted the only two retirements of the day. Kimi Raikkonen, unbelievably, suffered his fourth engine-related problem in three race weekends.

Full report and results to follow....

Leading finishers - Bahrain GP:

1. Michael Schumacher Ferrari
2. Rubens Barrichello Ferrari
3. Jenson Button BAR
4. Jarno Trulli Renault
5. Takuma Sato BAR
6. Fernando Alonso Renault
7. Ralf Schumacher Williams
8. Mark Webber Jaguar

Offline JASON

• Pure80s Elite
  • Big Brother
    • Blackpoolweb
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2004, 16:24:12 PM »
Michael Rutter and John Reynolds made impressive starts to the 2004 British Superbike championship after both claimed a win and a third-place in the opening round.
Rutter, who started from pole, led home team-mate Ryuichi Kiyonari in the first race to cap a marvellous start for the HM Plant Honda team.

Another Japanese factory followed Honda home with Rizla Suzuki duo of John Reynolds and Yukio Kagayama coming third and fourth respectively.

Sean Emmett brought home the first Ducati in fifth, while Marty Nutt - on a Yamaha - came in sixth.

In the second race last season's runner-up John Reynolds broke the Honda dominance with a superb ride to open his account for the campaign.

Kiyonari and Rutter completed an excellent weekend's work for their team by following Reynolds home in that order to leave Kiyonari just one point behind the pair in the standings.

Emmett went on better second time around to take fourth, while Scott Smart - on a Kawasaki - took advantage of Kagayama's early retirement to claim fifth.

Offline JASON

• Pure80s Elite
  • Big Brother
    • Blackpoolweb
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2004, 16:24:31 PM »
Race One result - Time
1.M Rutter (Ducati) 36:18.615
2.R Kiyonari (Ducati) +2.874 seconds
3.J Reynolds (Suzuki) +21.065
4.Y Kagayama (Suzuki) +33.099
5.S Emmett (Ducati) +45.732
6.M Nutt (Yamaha) +50.747
7.S Smart (Kawasaki) +51.751
8.D Thomas (Ducati) +51.808
9.G Richards (Kawasaki) +53.637
10.C Coxhell (Honda) +1:01.019

Race Two result Time
1.J Reynolds 32.10.864
2.R Kiyonari +0.510
3.M Rutter +1.340
4.S Emmett +12.504
5.S Smart +17.619
6.D Thomas +22.764
7.S Easton (Ducati) +36.684
8.G Mason (Yamaha) +43.615
9.S Plater (Yamaha) +57.525
10.T Hill (Yamaha) +59.826

Offline JASON

• Pure80s Elite
  • Big Brother
    • Blackpoolweb
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2004, 14:13:23 PM »
REYNOLDS AND EMMETT POWER TO GLORY

MonsterMob Ducati rider Shaun Emmett and Rizla Suzuki rider John Reynolds notched up wins in the second round of the British Superbikes championship at Brands Hatch.

Reynolds won Race One when Emmett was hit by Glenn Richards and both men crashed out. The Safety Car came out and once the pack was bunched up , Reynolds was able to speed away and hold off the challengers for his second win of the season, Micheal Rutter coming in second.

In the next race, Emmett started from pole and held off Rutter. Reynolds started slowly and was in ninth at the end of the first lap, and although he battled back to take third, he never looked likely to get to Emmett.

Emmett moves up to fourth in the series, while Reynolds is now three points clear of Rutter at the top of the standings after his win here and at Silverstone last month.

Brands Hatch Race 1 Result:
1 John Reynolds (Suzuki) 24.28.876
2 Micheal Rutter (Honda) 24.30.728
3 Yukio Kagayama (Suzuki) 24.32.110
4 Scott Smart (Kawasaki) 24.33.297
5 Gary Mason (Yamaha) 24.47.201
6 Ryuichi Kiyonari (Honda) 24.51.263
7 Sam Corke (Suzuki) 24.53.613
8 John Kirkham (Suzuki) 24.56.500
9 Tommy Hill (Yamaha) 24.58.598
10 Kieran Clarke (Yamaha) 24.58.673

Brands Hatch Race 2 Result:

1 Sean Emmett (Ducati) 23:26.496
2 Michael Rutter (Honda) 23:26.655
3 John Reynolds (Suzuki) 23:33.565
4 Scott Smart (Kawasaki) 23:37.708
5 Yukio Kagayama (Suzuki) 23:38.914
6 Ryuichi Kiyonari (Honda) 23:39.285
7 Glen Richards (Kawasaki) 23:43.693
8 Dean Thomas (Ducati) 23:51.565
9 Gary Mason (Yamaha) 23:53.698
10 Tommy Hill (Yamaha) 23:57.629

Offline JASON

• Pure80s Elite
  • Big Brother
    • Blackpoolweb
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2004, 14:20:20 PM »
Rossi wins South African GP on new Yamaha machine

World champion Valentino Rossi celebrated his first race for Yamaha by winning the South African motorcycle Grand Prix here, the first of the 16-race season, starting his quest for a fourth world championship.

The former Honda star became the first rider to win back to back races on different bikes as he took the chequered flag at the high altitude 4.242 kilometre (2.636 mile) Phakisa Freeway track in a time of 43min 50.218sec in mild and sunny conditions.

Arch-rival Max Biaggi on a Honda was second, followed by last year's winner Sete Gibernau of Spain also on a Honda at the end of the 28-lap race.

"This weekend, this race must be one of the best of my career," Rossi said shortly afterwards.

The "Doctor" complimented his adversary, saying it "was a great show, a great race and a great battle with Max."

The flamboyant London-based Rossi got off to a flying start, followed by Gibernau, but came under intense pressure from Biaggi, who passed the Spaniard and stuck to Rossi for the duration of the race.

A dogfight ensued, with both riders changing front position several times, neither of the two riders wanting to give the other the advantage of an open track.

The fight continued and Rossi pushed Biaggi out on a right-hander with two laps to go, both riders almost touching wheels, and held on to take the chequered flag giving Yamaha its first win since the Malaysian Grand Prix in 2002 when Biaggi won there.

Offline Karlos

• Pure80s Elite
  • You Know I Hate To Ask, But Are Friends Electric
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2004, 16:01:52 PM »
ROSSI THE BEST GP RIDER BY FAR, what a win, he is just supreme.  :clapper: Honda must be very worried, as last year the Yamaha M1 was only on the podium once, now with Rossi's skills Yamaha have a new lease of life.

Rossi's move to Yamaha is like Michael Schumacher moving to Sauber, he was tired of winning on the Honda and wanted a new challange, this is only the first race but what a start to the season.

If You want excitement watch Moto GP, can't wait till the next race.. :)
I've got to get those quizzes updateeeedddddddddd....zZzZzZzZ

Offline JASON

• Pure80s Elite
  • Big Brother
    • Blackpoolweb
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2004, 13:26:11 PM »
Great start for Button

British pilot Jenson Button made a perfect start from the front of the grid at the San Marino Grand Prix building up a quick lead over world champion Michael Schumacher.

Button starting from the front of the grid for the first time ever in his BAR-Honda leapt out of the blocks leaving Schumacher in his Ferrari and Juan Pablo Montoya of Colombia in his Williams to duel for second.

David Coulthard slid off at the first bend and was forced to enter the pits.

Offline JASON

• Pure80s Elite
  • Big Brother
    • Blackpoolweb
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2004, 13:36:00 PM »
RUTTER BAGS SNETTERTON POLE POSITION

Michael Rutter powered to pole position at record-breaking speed for the third round of the THINK! British Superbike Championship at Snetterton as he continued his bid to regain the advantage in the chase for the crown.
The HM Plant Honda Fireblade rider went into this event looking for victories in both races as he bids to get back on top of the points standings.

Rutter put in two fast laps in the final 10 minutes of the qualifying session to take pole position for the second time this season.

"I'm feeling good, having put in a lot of consistent laps on race tyres, and I could have gone faster in qualifying," admitted Rutter.

His best lap of the 1.952 mile circuit came in a time of one minute 5.713 seconds, sufficient to hold off the late challenge to his superiority from Australian Dean Thomas, riding the Sendo Ducati, who closed to within 0.053secs.

Sean Emmett, riding with a broken finger on his left hand, secured a front row start on his MonsterMob Ducati, though his time was matched by series leader John Reynolds, aboard the Rizla Suzuki.

Reynolds goes into the race with a single point advantage over Rutter and is expecting a real battle.

"The action is tighter than ever, but the harder the races, the harder I will be riding," said Reynolds. "I want to win here," he added.

Ryuichi Kiyonari, aboard the second Honda, heads the second row, ahead of Scott Smart on a Hawk Kawasaki.

Kiyonari commented: "I like the characteristics of Snetterton more than the last round at Brands Hatch, but I'm having to work hard through the last section.

"We've made some good progress over the past two days and I've managed to improve after every session.

"As always, I'm working very hard with the HM Plant Honda Racing team to find the best set-up for tomorrow's races."

Grid positions

1.M Rutter (Honda) 1:05.713
2.D Thomas (Ducati) 1:05.766
3.S Emmett (Suzuki) 1:05.909
4.J Reynolds (Ducati) 1:05.909
5.R Kiyonari (Honda) 1:06.098
6.S Smart (Kawasaki) 1:06.150
7.S Plater (Yamaha) 1:06.407
8.Y Kagayama (Suzuki) 1:06.449
9.G Richards (Kawasaki) 1:06.492
10.J Haydon (Ducati) 1:06.947

Offline JASON

• Pure80s Elite
  • Big Brother
    • Blackpoolweb
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2004, 15:01:40 PM »
SCHUMACHER BEATS BUTTON IN IMOLA

Jensen Button's dream of a Grand Prix win was put on ice on Sunday as Michael Schumacher made it a perfect four out four in the San Marino Grand Prix at Imola.

Button, starting on pole position for the first time in his career, drove a very good race in his BAR but the masterful Schumacher drove the perfect race in his world beating Ferrari.

The Briton shared the podium with world champion Schumacher for the third time in a row after third places in Malaysia and Bahrain, but moved one place closer to the German to finish second.

Third place at Imola eventually went to Williams' Juan Pablo Montoya after a fantastic late battle with Fernando Alonso.

Colombian Montoya managed to hold of the Spaniard's Renault to finish on the podium behind Button.

Similarly the battle for the fifth and sixth was equally engaging with Jarno Trulli edging out Schumacher's team-mate Rubens Barrichello by less than half a second.

Button on pole position for the first time made the perfect start to the race, pulling away from Michael Schumacher's Ferrari, leaving the German to fight off the Williams of Montoya and his brother Ralf.

The Englishman created some space between himself and the field while Michael banged wheels with Montoya who ten forced teammate Ralf Schumacher from the track.

As the race settled down Schumacher's Ferrari began to eat into Button's lead, and after Button went into the pit lanes to change tyres and fill up on fuel, Schumacher took a lead he wouldn't relinquish.

Schumacher opened up a comfortable lead and wasn't threatened by Button, and with both on a three-track strategy, his fourth win in the reliable Ferrari wasn't in danger.

Late on, when Button's teammate Sato was forced off with an engine problem, the Englishman took his foot of the throttle to coast home in second.

Schumacher took the chequered flag in first gear to a sea of adoring and flag-waving Tifosi, whilst the battle for points continued behind him.

David Coulthard's race couldn't have started worse as he lost his front wing in a collision at the start and ended up in the gravel on the first bend.

By the time he had the part replaced in the pit lane, he emerged at the back of the field and lasted the course to come home in a credible 12th place.

But Sunday's Briton was Button, who takes another step closer to following in the footsteps of the genius German, who is in a class of his own in Formula One.

The race in San Marino marked the ten year anniversary of Ayrton Senna - one of the greatest ever Formula One drivers - who died in a crash at Imola in 1994.

San Marino Grand Prix result Pts

1.M Schumacher (Ferrari) 10
2.J Button (BAR) 8
3.J P Montoya (Williams) 6
4.F Alonso (Renault) 5
5.J Trulli (Renault) 4
6.R Barrichello (Ferrari) 3
7.R Schumacher (Williams) 2
8.K Raikkonen (McLaren) 1
9.G Fisichella (Sauber) -
10.C Da Matta (Toyota)F Massa (Sauber) -
11.O Panis (Toyota) -
12.D Coulthard (McLaren) -
13.M Webber (Jaguar) -
14.C Klein (Jaguar) -
15.Z Baumgartner (Minardi) -
Non-finishers -
N Heidfeld (Jordan)  
G Pantano (Jordan) -
G Bruni (Minardi) -
T Sato (BAR)

Offline Viscount Discount

• Heir to a crumbling biscuit empire ....
  • Staff
  • Pure80s Elite
  • Don't stop the dance...
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2004, 15:29:12 PM »
A great result for the Somerset sensation Jenson Button there.  ;D

Second podium finish and first time as runner-up.

I don't think anyone could beat Michael Schumacher though - you have to wait for his car to break down!

Bang bang, the mighty fall ...

Offline JASON

• Pure80s Elite
  • Big Brother
    • Blackpoolweb
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2004, 15:47:53 PM »
HE SEEMS TO BE GETTING THE BAR JUST RIGHT!!
A WIN WOULD HAVE BEEN GREAT FOR HIM.............SURELY IT CANT BE LONG NOW B4 HE GETS ONE.

Offline JASON

• Pure80s Elite
  • Big Brother
    • Blackpoolweb
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2004, 02:56:54 AM »
BUTTON: FERRARI PACE AWESOME

BAR driver Jenson Button admitted his team needs to find extra pace in their car after the Briton finished second to Ferrari's Michael Schumacher in the San Marino Grand Prix.
Button started the race from pole position but once Schumacher took the lead there was little chance that the 24-year-old would put in a challenge for victory.

A stunned Button said: "It was fantastic seeing the red car going backwards after the start, which was my aim, and because it's difficult to overtake here, I wasn't worried Michael was behind me.

"Then came the pit stops and he ended up with a big gap, which I was actually quite shocked about.

"But I think we all know the pace of the Ferrari is untouchable in a race. They are a long way in front of everybody.

"Michael was 27 seconds in front of me before he started slowing down, so that's a huge gap considering I was leading for the first nine laps of the race.

"If I knew the reasons why they're so fast then we would work on it. It's very difficult to understand why we are so far away from them."

Button remains optimistic for the remainder of the season, however, in trailing the 35-year-old German by 16 points in the drivers' championship, it is unlikely he will be vying for anything other than the runners-up spot.

"It was another fantastic race and I'm very happy with second place which is another step closer to our ultimate ambition - a first win for me and the team," added Button.

"It looks like we have an exciting season ahead of us and I can go to Barcelona [in a fortnight] very happy with my year so far.

"It should be a good race for us, but looking at Ferrari's pace they seem to be very good in race trim. We might be closer, but to beat them is a big step for us."

Offline Vauxhall Victor

• We're The Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!
  • Pure80s Elite
  • Turbocharged!
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2004, 11:42:49 AM »
Yesterday I was at Brands Hatch for the British Touring Car Championship. There is probably more action at one BTCC meeting than in a whole season of F1. Don't get me wrong, I love Formula 1, and Jenson Button's second place at Imola was a fantastic achievement, but you have to be so careful in an open-wheeled single seater. One jostle for position can break the suspension or take the front wing off. Saloon car racing is all about close racing, and leaning on the opposition. Matt Neal won the first race in his Team Dynamics Honda Civic, Luke Hines in the works Vauxhall Astra coupe won race two, and his team mate James Thompson took race three honours. Surprise Thruxton winner Jason Plato didn't figure today - his SEAT was shunted off at the start of race one, missed race two, and retired from race three.
A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Offline Shytot

• My Other Can is Codswallop
  • Pure80s Elite
  • Hi ho Silver away - Ride into tomorrow today
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2004, 15:55:06 PM »
Saw a lot of it on the TV.
There was a lot of good racing.
I'd have to say that the Brands short circuit is probably a little too tight - even for touring cars.

Best overtake of the day was Chiltern in race 1 on the last lap.

How much was the ticket VV - what do you think of the new (mixed up) format?

Offline Vauxhall Victor

• We're The Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!
  • Pure80s Elite
  • Turbocharged!
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2004, 21:07:09 PM »
It was 25 quid to get in, and £5 for a programme. There was a whole package of support races as well including two Porsche Carrera Cup races, a Renault Clio race, two SEAT Leon scholarship races, and two Formula BMW and Renault races each. Oh, and the Cheeky Girls were there somewhere!

I think the new BTCC format works very well, and provides an interesting twist to the second race, with the first ten finishing positions reversed. It is slightly unfair though, in that a winner of the first race is going to be down in tenth at the start of race 2 mixing it with the midfield cars, and increasing their chances of being taken out of the race by a potential coming together on the opening lap. For the spectators though, it's a good thing, and ultimately the best drivers are going to prove their worth by soaring back up through the pack anyway. If you get the chance to go to a BTCC event Shytot, I'd definately go. I've been going to them since 1992 and I don't intend stopping!
A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.