Author Topic: AMERICAN WRESTLING!  (Read 21114 times)

Offline AndyR

• Pure80s Elite
Re:American Wrestling!
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2004, 19:31:44 PM »
This years Wrestlemania was so overhyped!!! The actual event itself was almost on the verge of being boring!

I used to be a massive fan of WWE(F) - back when it had outlandish storylines and surreal characters. These days, the characters have all but been replaced by identikit wrestlers and a distinct lack of storylines.

WWE isn't a sport and is more akin to a soap. By no means is this a bad thing but for a 'soap opera' to succeed it needs a driving narrative why is lacking from todays WWE. Audience figures are dwindling in response to this.

They had a superb opportunity to bring back one the greatest characters of all time - The Undertaker. The entrance was mediocre (although a druid actually caught fire by standing to close to some flames!) and the character was revealed to be just a tame 'American Badass' type with a couple of nods towards the previous Undertaker character.

The only thing I used to subscribe to Sky Sports for was the wrestling. Last year I cancelled the channel. I had it switched back on this year for Wrestlemainia but I think I'll turn it off again at the end of the month and leave it at that.

The wrestling channel looks to be showing a wealth of different types of wrestling (although at the moment with one of the worst examples of techical incompetence ever for a tv channel) but I did watch a great 'hardcore' cage match from nwa on there the other day.

And before we get all those people coming on here saying it's not a sport then I'll say right here and now that WE KNOW IT ISN'T A SPORT!!! You cannot though deny the athletisiscm (sp?) and physical prowess involved and surely can appreciate that 'the hazards are real'.
"There was of course no way of knowing whether you were being watched at any given moment. How often, or on what system, the Thought Police plugged in on any individual wire was guesswork. It was even conceivable that they watched everybody all the time.” George Orwell, 1984

Offline AndrewR

• The Quiz Master
  • Global Moderator
  • Pure80s Elite
    • Andrew Reids Rail Photos 2006 - 2008
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2004, 19:37:14 PM »
Totally agree with Andy there.  It's all scripted and rehearsed, so certainly is like a soap opera.  Not a sport at all.

Offline JASON

• Pure80s Elite
  • Big Brother
    • Blackpoolweb
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2004, 19:38:46 PM »
I'LL WATCH THE HIGHLIGHTS AND HAVE A LOOK FOR THAT DRUID CATCHING FIRE............PMSL!

Offline AndyR

• Pure80s Elite
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2004, 00:19:07 AM »
AndrewR - That's the whole point though! That's why it's called Sports Entertainment.

Jason - Watch out for Ultimo Dragon almost going arse over elbow when he enters the stadium AND when he enters the ring! You'll also be shocked at how Bobby 'the brain' Heenan looks now - and at the size of Paul Bearer!
"There was of course no way of knowing whether you were being watched at any given moment. How often, or on what system, the Thought Police plugged in on any individual wire was guesswork. It was even conceivable that they watched everybody all the time.” George Orwell, 1984

Offline Anj

• Goth who never grew up
  • Pure80s Elite
  • Football is a way of life
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2004, 21:58:23 PM »
I watch the ol' WWE and was Wrestlemania worth the watch just for the return of Paul Bearer and the Undertaker
Couldn't agree more, it was pure genius to bring him back like that.  ;D
Have u seen that new Wrestling Channel on Sky, it even has old World of Sport wrestling (Big Daddy, Fit Finlay, Kendo Nagasaki) :o

Most fans know it isn't 'real', but watch it for pure entertainment value >:(

Also look on Wrestlemania at Greg 'The Hammer' Valentine who looks like an old version of Triple H.  And talking of Ultimo Dragon, not only did he slip when he came through the curtain, he also slipped when he tried to stand on the ropes when he 1st got into the ring (You just knew it wasn't going to be his nite lol)

I would go out tonight but I haven't got a stitch to wear ...

Offline JASON

• Pure80s Elite
  • Big Brother
    • Blackpoolweb
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2004, 22:02:08 PM »
I'M NOW JUST WATCHING THE HIGHLIGHTS............THE EVOLUTION VS MICK FOLEY ETC!

Offline JASON

• Pure80s Elite
  • Big Brother
    • Blackpoolweb
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2004, 22:39:04 PM »
JUST WATCHED THE WOMENS BRA AND PANTIES MATCH.....MMMMMMMMM...........NICE

PLENTY OF SILICONE!

Offline JASON

• Pure80s Elite
  • Big Brother
    • Blackpoolweb
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2004, 23:22:05 PM »
GOLDBERG - LESNER MATCH.........CORKER,AND STONE COLD GIVING BOTH OF THEM A STUNNER.........CLASSIC...........BUT WELL RIGGED............THATS ENTERTAINMENT!!

Offline simes1970

• Pure80s Elite
  • Welcome to Pure80spop
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2004, 20:22:58 PM »
Still for sheer emotion 9on the night couldn't beat the return of the Undertaker even if he did look like wild Bill Undertaker and a reject from Tombstone.(no pun intended)

Offline JASON

• Pure80s Elite
  • Big Brother
    • Blackpoolweb
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2004, 21:18:58 PM »
MISSED THAT BIT...........I COULDN'T KEEP MY EYES OPEN AND I HAD A BETTER OFFER.......LOL

Offline simes1970

• Pure80s Elite
  • Welcome to Pure80spop
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2004, 19:45:28 PM »
It's Backlash tonite availiable only on PPV via SETANTA.Yep im buying it mainly for the bloodbath thats gonna involve Cactus Jack!

Offline JASON

• Pure80s Elite
  • Big Brother
    • Blackpoolweb
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2004, 20:01:52 PM »
I GET THE PPV ON CABLE (FREE OF COURSE)...LOL.....SSSSSHHHHHHHH

Offline AndyR

• Pure80s Elite
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2004, 20:10:00 PM »
Simes, that's the only match that looks remotely interesting! (Kane vs Edge might be interesting)

I don't think it's going to be worth the asking price though.

Offline simes1970

• Pure80s Elite
  • Welcome to Pure80spop
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2004, 21:34:52 PM »
Foley and Orton was a bloodbath with barbed wire boards and thumbtacks.The two of them were kind of messy at the end of the night.The main event match between
HHH/Benoit/Michaels was also a good one.