Author Topic: Emlyn Hughes dies aged 57  (Read 5143 times)

Offline AndrewR

• The Quiz Master
  • Global Moderator
  • Pure80s Elite
    • Andrew Reids Rail Photos 2006 - 2008
Emlyn Hughes dies aged 57
« on: November 09, 2004, 13:20:17 PM »

Former England football captain and television personality Emlyn Hughes has died at the age of 57.

Hughes had been battling a brain tumour for the last 15 months but deteriorated in the last few days.

His wife Barbara said: "He died at his home in Sheffield with his family around him."

Hughes played for Liverpool from 1967 to 1979. He played 650 games at Anfield, won 62 England caps and captained his country 23 times.

He won two European Cups and five league championships with Liverpool and then a League Cup winners medal towards the end of his career with Wolves.

He was named Footballer of the Year in 1977 and received an OBE in 1980.

After retiring from the game he became a successful television pundit and a popular captain on A Question of Sport opposite England rugby star Bill Beaumont.

Beaumont said Hughes was a family man who was passionate about his football and his country.

"He was just such a lovely and enthusiastic bloke and, you know, he was a good friend of mine and I've got fond memories of Emlyn," he said.

He paid tribute to his friend as a great sportsman who had respect for his team and management but also loved a joke.

"He was a team player, he liked the dressing room humour, that mickey-taking, and he was trying to laugh at himself as well," he said.

A Liverpool FC spokesman said: "Those lucky enough to see him play will recall his boundless enthusiasm, 100 per cent commitment to the cause and unrelenting passion for the club whenever he had the Liver Bird close to his chest."

The club confirmed it will hold a one-minute silence before Wednesday's Carling Cup tie against Middlesbrough at Anfield.

Dr David Levy, the neuro-oncologist who treated Hughes at the Royal Hallamshire Hospital in Sheffield, said: "During much of his treatment, Emlyn continued to work and enjoy life.

"He is a man who has touched the hearts of many, including myself, and it has been a privilege to have cared for him and his family."

Offline Viscount Discount

• Heir to a crumbling biscuit empire ....
  • Staff
  • Pure80s Elite
  • Don't stop the dance...
Re:Emlyn Hughes dies aged 57
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2004, 14:00:47 PM »
Blimey!

The crazy pig.

RIP Emlyn.  :(
Bang bang, the mighty fall ...

Offline DIVA NO1

• Pure80s Elite
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2004, 14:22:41 PM »
Blimey!

The crazy pig.

RIP Emlyn.  :(

don't you mean Crazy Horse

Anyway not much of Scouse fan but what a great shame, remember him on Question of Sport as well.

This is the type of thing that starts you questioning your  own mortality!!!  57 is no age at all!

Offline Viscount Discount

• Heir to a crumbling biscuit empire ....
  • Staff
  • Pure80s Elite
  • Don't stop the dance...
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2004, 17:39:55 PM »
Due to his high-pitched squealing, he used to get called the Crazy Pig on Question Of Sport.
Bang bang, the mighty fall ...

Offline cammyb

• Pure80s Elite
  • Welcome to Pure80spop
    • Off The Telly
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2004, 17:51:17 PM »
If any of you have an old Match Of The Day official BBC video release, Best Of MOTD 60s,70s & 80s, there is an absolutely classic clip in which Emlyn bangs in a 25 yard screamer for Wolves. You can audibly hear him screaming as he wheels away in delight.

Offline Anj

• Goth who never grew up
  • Pure80s Elite
  • Football is a way of life
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2004, 17:58:56 PM »
Very sad news indeed.  Another one gone before his time.
I would go out tonight but I haven't got a stitch to wear ...

Offline DIVA NO1

• Pure80s Elite
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2004, 21:10:00 PM »
Due to his high-pitched squealing, he used to get called the Crazy Pig on Question Of Sport.

Soz, didn't realise, well you learn something everyday

Offline Shytot

• My Other Can is Codswallop
  • Pure80s Elite
  • Hi ho Silver away - Ride into tomorrow today
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2004, 00:19:41 AM »
Sad news ... he was diagnosed around the same time as my Father - in- Law - Emlyn lasted 7 / 8 months longer ... but it gets you in the end :(

I think that we're all getting to that time in life where it's not just celebrities who are dying.

Taxes and Death - are the 2 sure things ....

Offline andrea

• Dizzy blonde
  • Part Time Staff
  • Pure80s Elite
  • Champion Reflexer
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2004, 10:10:02 AM »
RIP x x x