Author Topic: Webcam installation help required  (Read 8452 times)

Neil_C

Webcam installation help required
« on: December 28, 2003, 11:07:50 AM »
:) I got the wife a Webcam and Hands free headset for Christmas so she can talk to her sister aboard, and I have no idea on how to set it up.  Any ideas or any useful websites would be great.

Not very 80's but it will reduce my phone bill!!

Offline JASON

• Pure80s Elite
  • Big Brother
    • Blackpoolweb
Re: Webcam installation help required
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2003, 16:06:53 PM »
WEBCAM

The webcam should have a usb plug on it......just plug it in the usb port at the back of the computer.windows should detect the webcam and if you have the installation disc,just put the disc into the disc drive and it should run automatically,just install from the disc!

HEADPHONES

On the headphones there should be a  small jack plug on the end,just plug it into the correct socket at the back of the computer........could be a green color!

GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN WITH THE WEBCAM!!

Offline Onehitwonder

• Land Down Under
  • Pure80s Elite
    • Youtube NZOZ
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2003, 16:47:40 PM »
yeah absolutely......what jason said......ha hum.

Offline AndyR

• Pure80s Elite
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2003, 18:38:52 PM »
Spot on Jason but to just expand a little...

NeilC - Does the webcam have a built in microphone or is the microphone on the hands-free headset?

If it's on the headset then plug the audio plug (usually black or green) into the line-out of your computer. Then plug the microphone one into the mic socket of your computer (usually a red plug).

I never though I'd advocate the use of Microsoft messenger but it's almost foolproof to use, free and if you run Windows XP you most likely already have it installed. Using this you can have a list of contacts (e.g. your wifes sister) and when you go online to chat using it then you can specify you want to use the webcam and audio with that contact.

If your wife's sister does the same then you can have a two way audio/video link (but you can use it one way if you want). That's it. 2 way audio visual link using your internet link - no more massive phone bills!
"There was of course no way of knowing whether you were being watched at any given moment. How often, or on what system, the Thought Police plugged in on any individual wire was guesswork. It was even conceivable that they watched everybody all the time.” George Orwell, 1984

Neil_C

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2003, 19:39:03 PM »
:) I knew I could rely on you lot. The instructions are fairly foolproof if you speak Japanese!! Thanks for all the help, my computer does run XP so I will try to sort out Messenger. Just to complicate matters I've also got a soundcard to go in so I can really mess up the 'puter!!

Thanks for all your help, I'll let you know how it goes.

Offline Onehitwonder

• Land Down Under
  • Pure80s Elite
    • Youtube NZOZ
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2003, 11:58:38 AM »
sound card.....mmmm

i once bought a sound card......but i took it back to the shop !......co's no matter how long i tried to listen for...
i still could'nt hear any sound on it !  ha.....stupid card.

same problem happened with the next one...i put my ear
right up to it,and still no sound,so that went back too.

had the same problems with the next one & the next one,and the next !.....i just gave up in the end!

then i bought a tv tuner card,same thing....my tv has still
got a crap picture....they dont make things the way they use to thats for sure......stupid technology.

Offline AndyR

• Pure80s Elite
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2003, 21:38:35 PM »
Groan!
"There was of course no way of knowing whether you were being watched at any given moment. How often, or on what system, the Thought Police plugged in on any individual wire was guesswork. It was even conceivable that they watched everybody all the time.” George Orwell, 1984

Neil_C

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2003, 23:28:22 PM »
:) ho,hum  thanks for those words of wisdom OHW, and they say the Aussies don't have a sense of humour!!

Neil_C

Re:Webcam installation help required
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2004, 12:38:55 PM »
 :) Just an update on the webcam stuff. The webcam is great and working but I had a problem with a graphics card that had to be removed to get the 'puter working. The only problem is using the webcam through Microsoft Messenger, I keep getting obscene emails how do I stop this?

Offline AndyR

• Pure80s Elite
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2004, 18:29:32 PM »
Don't understand why you had to remove the GFX card to get it all working as the webcam and GFX card system are related in such much as the webcam software uses the overlay function of the graphic drivers.

Anyways, if it's working now and everything is behaving as you want it to then that's all that matters.

The only way I can think of stopping the obscene e-mails is to create a list of keywords to block (I don't use MSM so can't tell you how but it should be easy enough.)

You may want to consider using other software - CoffeeCup is supposed to be good as is VisionGS Private Edition but these work using webspace rather than 'direct' communication. They also have more options than you can shake a stick at so aren't for the un-initiated.

Software called HCAM may be a good idea. Here's a review...

The MyUsedBook website automatically connects visitors with your webcam. You create a free account at the site and your webcam is (optionally) added to a directory. Visitors then just connect the the MyUsed Book site and select you camera. Its possible to block anyone you want and specify the amount of users. By having another window open you can have both a send and receive video and audio link.

www.myusedbook.com

Don't know if it's suitable for you as I just read about it but if you search around (Google?) you'll find better answers to you MSM question and/or more appropriate software.

Also, try http://www.cdrom-guide.com/cdindex.cgi for computer related problems. You usually find/receive an answer to any technical or software problem here.

Neil_C

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2004, 21:03:15 PM »
:) Thanks for that, when I get a little time I'll try it out. I did not have a problem with the graphics card and webcam together, it was a problem with the graphics card on it's own. I downloaded a new driver for it and my 'puter went mad, closely followed by me!! and the only way to sort it was to remove the card and just use the graphics on the mother board. This was all beyond me but luckily I have a man who can.

Once again thanks for all your help.