Author Topic: The most popular 80's tunes in Hellas (per category)  (Read 2015 times)

Offline Lefteris

• Welcome to Pure80spop
    • Lefteris Lalos site
The most popular 80's tunes in Hellas (per category)
« on: July 09, 2006, 17:56:21 PM »
Dear friends
I was asked by a friend (who wants to "create" an 80's radio station) a little while back, if I could provide him with song lists that can cover all styles of popular international music of the 80's, concerning recordings released during the period 1979-1989.
I have started to create those lists based on personal criteria & on my experience both as a radio listener (from back in 1982) a music lover and a radio jockey (1986-1995). I have lived for 20 years in Thessaloniki and I am living for 11 years in Athens. I have also lived in several other Hellenic cities so I can suppose that I am fully qualified to have an opinion about what one could consider the popularity of a song (at least) in my country.
I guess that these songlists reflect pretty much the spirit of the 80's in other countries as well, so I am inviting you to visit the following page at my second web site where you will find (for the time being)  the first two lists about 1) rock & 2) soul music of the 80's @

http://www.mousikosdiavlos.gr/default.asp?id=23&mnu=23

Soon I will update this page with the 4 pop categories (brit pop, euro pop, mainstream pop in general & dance pop).

If you want to take a look at other song lists (including 80's songs) you can visit the following page of my first & main personal web site

http://lalos.gr/default.asp?id=82&mnu=82

All the above lists are being updated regularly.

Offline Viscount Discount

• Heir to a crumbling biscuit empire ....
  • Staff
  • Pure80s Elite
  • Don't stop the dance...
Re: The most popular 80's tunes in Hellas (per category)
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 10:04:27 AM »
Very interesting, Lefty.  I notice that Ray Parker Jr - a one hit wonder in the UK - was obviously loads more successful in Greece.
Bang bang, the mighty fall ...

Offline Lefteris

• Welcome to Pure80spop
    • Lefteris Lalos site
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 11:14:13 AM »
I have spent lots of hours searching for my favorite music (among others) on the internet the last 10 years.
I have come to the conclusion that different people with different mentalities have a different approach on music (and not only) and certainly a different taste.

To a Greek for example it would sound like a joke to find out that one would consider Falco a "one hit wonder",

http://www.80sxchange.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44051

especially if the hit referred to would be only his 4th most popular song in Hellas, after mega hits Der Kommissar (1982), Rock Me Amadeus (1986) & Jeanny (1986).

I have become more tolerant concerning all these matters through the years but I have a strict rule that will never bend:

You have the right to like and dislike whatever you want. Noone has the right to judge your personal taste & opinion.

BUT

In order to have an opinion about what is good or bad (although it is sometimes also a matter of taste) you got to have certain characteristics, potentials, knowledge & capebilities. If not, one's opinion about certain matters, could be easily concidered no more than a joke....

To the lists referred to, I must add that the songs included,  have very little to do with my personal opinion. They only reflect the popularity of certain songs in my country, mostly through their radio airplay the last 25 years.

Offline Lord Villa

• Don't quote me on that
  • Pure80s Elite
  • Never forget
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2006, 10:57:06 AM »
Just came back from Rhodes, they were playing a lot of Phil Collins stuff, was he big in Greece in the 80s.