Author Topic: 80s 3d movies  (Read 21952 times)

Offline Lord Villa

• Don't quote me on that
  • Pure80s Elite
  • Never forget
Re: 80s 3d movies
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2008, 10:09:33 AM »
An interesting fact about George Lucas you may not know>>>   On a return on investment basis, Star Wars proved to be one of the most successful films of all time. During the filming of Star Wars, Lucas waived his up front fee as director and negotiated to own the licensing rights — rights which the studio thought were nearly worthless. This decision earned him hundreds of millions of dollars, as he was able to directly profit from all the licensed games, toys, and collectibles created for the franchise. <<< What a smart cookie.

Yep, I read that somewhere, seems like his intent on doing it to death now, I can't think why he doesn't start something original.

Offline dava

• Pure80s Elite
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2008, 11:46:47 AM »
it looks s good site.off out to find some glasses   O0
Happy Days.

Offline Wingtipvortex

• Pure80s Elite
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2008, 14:51:41 PM »
Speaking of 3D ... if anyone does have a pair of those wonky red/blue 3D glasses, you might find this website fun:
Doodle in 3D
Good find Queenie O0
Im Stephen King, and i wrote the damn thing!! ( first words spoken on the Shining dvd commentary )

Offline Wingtipvortex

• Pure80s Elite
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2008, 15:44:23 PM »
3D is definatly back in full force. Sensio have released Jaws 3 3D for the home cinema, as well as other classic titles. www.sensio.tv/en/home_theater/3d_dvd/available/default.3d   There are now over 1000 cinemas in the US alone that can screen fully digital "RealD" movies. Five Hollywood studios have agreed to help pay for a $1 billion-plus rollout of digital technology on about 20,000 movie screens in North America, a precursor to showing more movies in 3-D. This new digital technology cannot be compared to any other 3D experience.

Over 30% of new films will be made in 3D in the next 5 years. This is a ploy to bring people back to the cinemas. Although im not a fan of "re-doing" films in any format, weather it be, adding colour, adding scenes, re digitizing scenes.....nearly all 2D movies are shot by their director and cinematographer in a 3D perspective, its common practice. Therefore, i have no problem at all with past films being "re imaged" to the perspective they were originaly intended to be. These films are not intended to be 3D gimmicky, but to add their correct perspective to the prints. Film makers like George Lucas had this vision in mind many years ago, but the technology was not up to standard at the time, hence, not implemented. I would be happy to see Star Wars episode IV again at the cinema in full 3D glory, and i would appreciate the filmakers efforts to bring this to reality.

3D has a notoriously bad wrap in this day and age because of past productions, dont let this deter you from seeing this new breed of technology. After all, Tim Burton, James Cameron, Robert Rodriguez, Steven Spielberg, DreamWorks Studios and George Lucas cant all be wrong, can they?

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/TECH/biztech/10/02/digital.movies.ap/index.html
Im Stephen King, and i wrote the damn thing!! ( first words spoken on the Shining dvd commentary )

Offline Wingtipvortex

• Pure80s Elite
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2008, 02:48:46 AM »
Just found this>> www.underground3dmovies.com/index.htm
You can purchase a 3d system, and all the 80s classics are there. Reasonably priced as well O0

Offline obsdoc

• Warmer and fuzzier than a very warm and fuzzy thing.
  • Part Time Staff
  • Pure80s Elite
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2008, 04:09:54 AM »
Now the title of that link alone makes me think of films of Undergound Trains..........arghghghggh   scary beasts alone without them being in 3D!   ;D :D

Offline Wingtipvortex

• Pure80s Elite
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2008, 04:26:48 AM »
 >:D :2funny:

Offline Dublin Jim

• If God wanted me to juggle I would have 3 balls
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2008, 13:09:32 PM »
Speaking of 3D ... if anyone does have a pair of those wonky red/blue 3D glasses, you might find this website fun:
Doodle in 3D

I got 20 pairs of glasses from ebay ( dont ask ) and that is one cool site

Offline QueenVictoria

• Pure80s Elite
  • Life's too short to drink cheap coffee
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2008, 16:52:18 PM »
I got 20 pairs of glasses from ebay ( dont ask ) and that is one cool site

:) Not asking

I found another one that might be kinda fun ... if you had the glasses.
http://www.pulltime3d.com/
There's not a whole lot on there, but there are a few pictures.

Offline 80sGuy

• Merry whatever.
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2008, 17:16:28 PM »
You can purchase a 3d system, and all the 80s classics are there. Reasonably priced as well O0

Interesting find. This site says it has a device that converts even 2D movies into 3D in realtime for only rough $80US/$54GBP. I was not aware such things existed.

Offline Wingtipvortex

• Pure80s Elite
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2008, 05:43:37 AM »

Interesting find. This site says it has a device that converts even 2D movies into 3D in realtime for only rough $80US/$54GBP. I was not aware such things existed.
Yes it does state that it can "convert"2d to 3d, however, i think it uses the Pulfrich Effect>>  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulfrich_effect  to obtain this. I cant really see any other way to do this in real time. I will investigate 8) As for the true 3d movies, they all work a treat!

Offline Lord Villa

• Don't quote me on that
  • Pure80s Elite
  • Never forget
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2010, 12:11:36 PM »

Can't see how this would be possible, I think 3D was and is a gimmick which will dilute storylines in much the same way as computer animation has.

Offline Ziesha

• Apprentice member
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2011, 07:23:34 AM »
I wanna watch Halloween in 3D

Offline Thomas78

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2011, 06:54:17 AM »
This was a gimmick movie studios tried bringing back in 1981-83 to fight the growing VCR home market. You hit the big three, the others from this era were:
Comin At Ya
Parasite (with a young Demi Moore!)
Treasure of the Four Crowns
SpaceHunter: Adventures In The Forbidden Zone
Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared-Syn

The only one I've seen all of was Amityville 3 and I've seen bits of the Jaws and Friday, all of these on television. Somehow I don't feel terribly deprived for not seeing more 3D cheese. It's funny when you see it "flat" on TV and you can tell where the 3D effects were originally (ever seen SCTV's "Monster Chiller Horror Theater?) :lol:

Oh, and I have seen the 3D short films at Disney World like the Muppets and Michael Jackson's Captain Eo, do they count?

Offline Wingtipvortex

• Pure80s Elite
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2011, 15:51:46 PM »

The only one I've seen all of was Amityville 3 and I've seen bits of the Jaws and Friday, all of these on television. Somehow I don't feel terribly deprived for not seeing more 3D cheese.
On tv they were shown in anaglyph,  catastrophically inferior to the polarized theater screenings.  You have defiantly been deprived of the intended 3D experience ;)