Off Topic > Today In Sports

Rugby Union/league Thread

<< < (2/18) > >>

As mentioned in the footy thread, I am from the Emerald Isle :rolleyes:

Sorry it had to be Scotland :(

Falcons clinch Powergen Cup

Powergen Cup Final, Twickenham,  Saturday April 17 2004

Newcastle Falcons scored in the last five minutes to clinch a rollicking and thrilling Powergen Cup final against Sale Sharks at Twickenham on Saturday.

Substitute flanker Phil Dowson powerd his way over in the 75th minute to give Newcastle the Cup and a place in the Heineken Cup next season.

In a Super 12esque clash which saw seven tries scored, Twickenham was given a thrilling afternoon of rugby as both sides played  a great attacking game to keep the lead changing hands throughout the match.

Warren Britz, Hugh Vyvyan and Joe Shaw also crossed for the Falcons while Steve Hanley, Mark Cueto and Chris Mayor touched down for Sale - although more than one of the tries was a result of sloppy defending.

The attacking play was well matched by the two kickers - Sale's Charlie Hodgson and Newcastle's Dave Walder - who between them missed just a single shot at goal in 15 attempts.

The Falcons made an impressive start in front of a 48,500 crowd, helped by Sharks full-back Jason Robinson throwing a pass into no-man's land, and wing Michael Stephenson almost powered over.

Sale could not escape from their 22, and Newcastle made them pay on seven minutes when South African flanker Britz rounded off a crisp move to claim an impressive opening try that Walder converted.

Hodgson landed a short-range penalty three minutes later from the Sharks' first threatening position, and pre-match forecasts of an open, entertaining final had immediately reached fruition.

Sale added further to the mix after 15 minutes, prising open Newcastle's defence through a storming break by hooker Andy Titterrell. Although he was tackled short, the Sharks quickly moved possession wide and Hanley touched down.

Hodgson's angled conversion gave the Sharks a 10-7 lead approaching the end of a superb opening quarter, but Walder tied things up with his opening penalty after an earlier short-range miss.

Newcastle boss Rob Andrew made a front-row substitution 10 minutes before the break, replacing prop Ian Peel with South African Marius Hurter, yet Sale went back in front through Hodgson's second penalty.

It was an eventful encounter in bright Twickenham sunshine, and although Sale approached half-time in front, they were still to unleash Robinson, their most potent attacking weapon.

Leading 13-10 at the break, Sale needed to stamp further stamp their authority, but Newcastle regained the lead within three minutes.

Centre Jamie Noon was tackled just short of the line following a powerful break, absorbing sufficient defensive numbers, and after the ball went wide, Falcons skipper Vyvyan touched down.

Walder landed a fiendishly-difficult conversion into a gusting wind, edging Newcastle 17-13 ahead, but Sale replied in thrilling fashion when Cueto showcased his silky running skills.

Cueto made a mess of Newcastle's defence from 40 metres out, weaving his way inside and out of would-be tacklers, and the score - increased by Hodgson's conversion - put Sale 20-17 ahead.

Hodgson booted a 48-metre penalty just three minutes later, offering Sale the first hint of breathing space in what had become an enthralling contest.

Typically though, the Falcons' response was wonderfully effective. They first gained territory, then Walder rifled out a mis-pass in classic training ground fashion, and Shaw sprinted through a huge gap, complete with celebratory dive.

Walder's conversion made it 24-23 to Newcastle as the lead changed hands for a fourth time, setting up an intriguing closing quarter.

But in keeping with the game's nature, Newcastle could not consolidate their advantage, and it was wiped out when Mayor scorched through a huge gap for Sale's third try, converted by Hodgson.

Walder reduced the arrears with a 69th-minute penalty, then found his range again to level the scores at 30-30 before Hodgson inched Sale back in front.

Dowson though, came up trumps, and Newcastle could celebrate their second cup final triumph in four years following a breathtaking, gripping finale.

Newcastle (10) 37 Sale (13) 33

Tries: Britz, Vyvyan, J. Shaw, Dowson.
Cons: Walder 4. Pens: Walder 3.
Team: J. Shaw, May, Noon, Mayerhofler, Stephenson, Walder, Grindal, Peel, Makin, Ward, Archer, Grimes, Dunbar, Britz, Vyvyan.
Replacements: Lilley for J. Shaw (59), Charlton for Grindal (47), Hurter for Peel (31), Thompson for Makin (56), Hamilton for Archer (64), Dowson for Britz (64).
Not Used: Gollings.

Tries: Hanley, Cueto, Mayor.
Cons: Hodgson 3.
Pens: Hodgson 4.
Team: Robinson, Cueto, Baxendell, Mayor, Hanley, Hodgson, Walshe, Sheridan, Titterell, Stewart, Fullarton, White, Anglesea, Sanderson, C. Jones.
Replacements: Cairns for Titterell (63), Turner for Stewart (63), Perrett for Anglesea (58).
Not Used: Schofield, Going, Hercus, Wigglesworth.

Att: 38,590

Ref: Tony Spreadbury (RFU).

Fatboy Ginge:
I've hung me boots up and I want to play again. I can't though until my shoulders sorted

Viscount Discount:
Easy. Eeeeeeeeasy .....

Why do rugby fans never sing that.

don't understand the rules of egg chasing but good to see the trogs get a stuffing :laugh:

just the porridgemonsters, potatofarmers, and the other johnny foreigners to beat now!

Diplomatic Corp
Foreign Office


[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version