Author Topic: Fave 80s computer game....  (Read 36033 times)

Offline valnar

• Apprentice member
Fave 80s computer game....
« on: October 06, 2004, 13:37:52 PM »
My all tim e fave 80s computer game has to be Elite.  It was a perfect blend of flying around and blowing the crud outta stuff.....not to mention the blue danube being played at you.

*Remembers the days when had chicken pox*

AAAARGH THE THARGOIDS ARE COMING!!!!
Ultionis est mei

Offline AndyR

• Pure80s Elite
Re:Fave 80s computer game....
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2004, 20:04:37 PM »
I didn't have the patience for Elite!

For me, the one 80's game I return to more-often than not is Chuckie Egg. It's a pure single screen 2D platform game, simple yet fiendish. It's speedy and you just jump right in - and it's only 8 levels (with the same 8 levels repeated with the mother hen flying around trying to catch hen-house-harry) so it's great for a quick blast trying to beat your highest score!

Oh, and the Amstrad CPC version is the definitive version. I play it now on ArnoldX - it's perhaps a bit of waste of the power inside the xbox though!
"There was of course no way of knowing whether you were being watched at any given moment. How often, or on what system, the Thought Police plugged in on any individual wire was guesswork. It was even conceivable that they watched everybody all the time.” George Orwell, 1984

Offline Onehitwonder

• Land Down Under
  • Pure80s Elite
    • Youtube NZOZ
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2004, 22:11:28 PM »
my fav's ...say in a games parlour were, space invaders....pac -man....galaxian....frogger

on the commodore 64 it was,  space invaders.....paperboy ( not really that exciting ).....traffic - ( in london).....and of course my favourite, delta ! it was 1992 since i last played this properly...and from memory i was somewhere near the end but cant remember what level d'oh !...takes some time to get used to this one and picking the right options at the right times.....anyone else liked this ?

also the donkey kong the orange double screen hand held version that came out in 82 ' along with a few others of that type ...still have em'

i ,might look into collecting some more of these before they all disappear

Offline pdub

• Apprentice member
  • Good Greif !!
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2004, 07:21:37 AM »
there are some very good emulators out there for the PC - I have a C64 emulator (the CCS one) a speccy emulator, Amiga (WinFellow) and the MAME engine for all the old arcade games  -they all work very well and are readily available on the net.
Confused - but taking notes

Offline icemaidnrebix

• Pure80s Elite
  • 80's Luvin Halfpint
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2004, 22:51:29 PM »
I don't remember what system we had but I used to love playing Lemmings (was it 80's?), Nifty Lifty, Frogger, Space Invaders, Pacman..I used to love this fantastic game but I don't know what it was called.  In it, you were a serf and I remember going down what looked like drain grids to another level of (I think) a castle or something.  I loved that game. It was an old system where you had to play a cassette, which made the same hideous noise as a dial up modem connecting....
I love 80's music!. Who needs drugs and alcohol when you have music.  I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.

Offline AndyR

• Pure80s Elite
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2004, 23:05:00 PM »
Sounds like that game could be 'Sir Lancelot' from Melbourne House.

Can't find much info about it online but this page shows the title screen and has a link to the CPC download for use with an emulator...

http://tacgr.emuunlim.com/downloads/filedetail.php?recid=813

And here's a review from an old computer mag called 'Crash' for the spectrum version...

http://www.crashonline.org.uk/11/sirlnce.htm

That was one damn hard game and it still is to this day!
"There was of course no way of knowing whether you were being watched at any given moment. How often, or on what system, the Thought Police plugged in on any individual wire was guesswork. It was even conceivable that they watched everybody all the time.” George Orwell, 1984

Offline icemaidnrebix

• Pure80s Elite
  • 80's Luvin Halfpint
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2004, 20:28:49 PM »
Thanks for the reply, not sure if it's the one I'm after though.  I also remember playing the really cool Ghostbusters game, which I saw in a charity shop the other day for 50p!.....
I love 80's music!. Who needs drugs and alcohol when you have music.  I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.

Offline Vauxhall Victor

• We're The Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!
  • Pure80s Elite
  • Turbocharged!
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2004, 21:36:14 PM »
I had a ZX Spectrum and my favourites were,

'Turbo Esprit' - You drove a black Lotus Esprit around one of 4 various British towns, looking for different coloured saloons, which were the bad guys, to either shoot or ram until they exploded. I had hours of fun playing that.

'Skool Daze' and 'Back 2 Skool' - You were a schoolboy called Eric, and you walked around your school causing all sorts of mischief and trying to get the other kids in trouble for it. Once you'd got 10,000 lines it was game over. The sequel expanded the school, and added a playground and a girl's school to wander round.
A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Offline Emil J.

• Apprentice member
  • 80s & 90s still holds the best music
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2004, 20:33:08 PM »
I had alot of fav. games on my Commodore 64.
Who Dares Wins I & II, Commando & Maniac Mansion. :)

B.R

Emil J

Offline thingonaspring

• Apprentice member
  • retro-throwback-tastic.
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2004, 15:38:52 PM »
thing on a spring, clearly! tho spring bounces back was just as good. top music too... ;)

Offline 80sMayboy

• Welcome to Pure80spop
    • Retro Gaming
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2005, 21:40:47 PM »
My favourite Game has to be Ghostbusters for the C64! Great game :) I remember it being the first game that frightened me when i heard the Marshmellow mans laugh lol I ended up behind the Coach on more than a few occasions

Offline Monty007®

• Pure80s Elite
  • Monty007
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2005, 09:26:29 AM »
My Fave Game Was 'Jet Set Willy'
Remember Him Anyone ?????
Monty®

Offline Vauxhall Victor

• We're The Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!
  • Pure80s Elite
  • Turbocharged!
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2005, 18:57:00 PM »
I remember 'Jet Set Willy' - used to play it a lot. Never completed it though.
A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Offline AndyR

• Pure80s Elite
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2005, 22:51:10 PM »
Jet Set Willy originally had a bug that meant it was impossible to complete.

The bug meant that the final screen was inaccessible and you could only complete the game by entering a POKE before loading!

I never really liked the game though (or Manic Miner either)

Offline skyway

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2005, 12:00:05 PM »
I liked Lunar Jetman and Paperboy but my all time favourite was Outrun (In fact I saw Outrun 2 for the PS2 on sunday so ill might treat myself to a PS2 this weekend!!!)