Author Topic: What to do with all these  (Read 5484 times)

Offline DD

• Land Rover with go-faster stripes!
What to do with all these
« on: June 02, 2004, 12:07:50 PM »
I collect computers, and some of the 80's classics I have are actually quite rare now.

Epson HX-20 - first commercial laptop. Built-in printer, screen, batteries, mini tape player. They cost about £2600 new and you could do about sod all with them. 18 hour battery life and you can't charge and use at the same time.

Amstrad CPC464 - the classic Amstrad gameing computer. Built-in tape drive, 64k RAM, could either use a TV, green monitor or a Colour monitor!

Amstrad CPC6128 - for all thoes rich kids who just had to beat the 464. built-in disk drive, 128kb RAM (switched into two 64k sections - always screwed up!), no flash colours. Also available with a monitor.

Acorn Electron - The Acorn equivelant of the Spectrum, but worse. Able to use said Amstrad monitor, but the picture goes off the edge of the screen.

ZX Spectrum - I have two of these, one with rubber keys and one upgraded one. The upgraded one has more internal RAM, a propper keyboard and a propper speaker. Long gone are the days when you nudged the memory card and lost the program you'd spent 5 hours typing in.

IBM-AT - THE computer if you had $9000 to spare. Mine imported in 1983 with upgraded floppy drive (to 1.2Mb) and a extra large 20Mb hard drive - full height (2 CD-ROM drives size). I still have its original monitor and keyboard.

IBM PS/2 - The IBM revolution came about shortly after the AT. Improved mouse and keyboard connectors, smaller cases (like you can fit them AND a keyboard onto a desk). Of course the PS/2 servers are a bit larger (they have a warning on them about 18kg).

Atari 800XL - The flash version of the 800. Thats about it really. It has a HUGE power supply, and an external tape drive.

Commadore Amega 500+ - more into the 90's but uses the same technology as all the others. Amega was generated by 3 or 4 men, 2 of whom were dentists.

HP Vecra - The Vectra series is a workstation, however the E series were servers. My E12 is a 12MHz 286 with 640kb RAM. It used to have a 20Mb "low profile" hard drive (only one CD-ROM drive size). It used to be the server in a doctors sergury until it was hoit by lightning. Still works though.

Toshiba 2000 - a 286 Laptop. Quite sefisticated actually, one of the first to use a miniture hard drive. had a 1/2 size screen (i.e. top half) but was very good at its job.

What they had before digital projectors - If you wanted to display your fantastic presintation you have done on your IBM AT, you had to lug your whole computer down to the lecture theater, along with an overhead projector projection screen. This is a LCD displey (like a laptop uses) but its see-through. You placed that on the Overhead Projector and used it like a large monitor. These devices usually costing about £500.

Extra RAM - Not as simple as you think. There are 4 types of RAM, Cache, Conventional, Expanded and Extended. Cache usually didn't matter, Conventional must be below 1Mb, and the other two don't work in DOS properly. One PS/2 machine (a £18,000 server) has 24Mb of RAM, 4Mb on-board, 16Mb Expanded and 4Mb Extended. DOS uses the Extended part easily enough but it has to have an advanced memory controller to use the Extended RAM. The 16Mb RAM card cost someone £2400 in 1986!

MCA, ISA, 32-bit ISA or PCI? - No one could figure out which one to use. IBM chose the far-superior MCA but wouldn't let anyone use it. ISA was good but limited for the future. 32-bit ISA took up the whole of the room in the computer, and PCI had problems working next to ISA slots. PCI came to be in the end, but it took nearly 10 years.

Portable computer? Computers made that wern't laptops (like they'd break your legs if you put them on you lap), but could run off batteries were made. IBM, HP, and a few other long lost makes made them. Imagine a computer, with a mini-monitor on the side and bloody great batteries at the back. Some required 2 people to lift them. Portable - with a vehiacle.

There were many more computers than Spectrums and Commadores, but they all cost too much. The internet was running, but you had to be a large business or University to use it.

Where will we be in 10 years time?

Offline AndyR

• Pure80s Elite
Re:What to do with all these
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2004, 15:28:24 PM »
You just knew I'd have to post a reply here!

Epson HX-20 - I love the fact the optional floppy drive has to load it's own OS from a floppy! Mind you, I always thought the first 'laptop' sold on a commercial basis (but didn't make it big) was the Grid Compass 1109 (1979). The Osborne 1 is considered to be the first truly portable computer and that was released a couple of months before the HX-20 in 1981.

Amstrads - Great machines with a great version of BASIC. The demo scene is still going and it's amazing what they can make a CPC do now! Personally I never came across any problems with the 64k banking system.

Electron - Awful looking cut down version of a BBC. Ugh!

Spectrum - who hasn't got one of these? Must admit though I'm not really a fan of Spectrums.

Atari 800 - Would have been a big success if released a couple of years earlier but it all looked kind of dated when actually released. Still, the back catalogue does have some real gems!

Amiga - This is my computer of choice. So far ahead of it's time when originally released but commodore management really messed this one up. If the whole thing had been managed better from the beginning then the Amiga could have been the home computer of choice now. My 1200 has a 68040 & FPU @ 50 Hz with 18Meg of memory (2 chip, 16 fast), 20GB HD, CD-ROM. Doesn't sound much but the way an Amiga works is completely different to a PC so it's actually quite a powerful Amiga. I also have an absolute ton of Amiga software and it's still a computer that can turn heads. My A500 (switchable between Kickstart 1.3 and 2.04) has a Megachip installed allowing 2 meg of Chip ram and 8 meg of fast and it's currently residing in an anti-static bag in a box in my attic. That girl is my pride and joy - she got me through my G.C.S.E's, A-Levels and through college (Theatre Engineering)

Where will we be in 10 years time - I don't know. Will Moores law still be applicable? What about biological processing or processors using photons? Do you think we are stretching the limits of what we can do with silicon or is there still life in the process?

Time to dig my crystal ball out and have a look...
"There was of course no way of knowing whether you were being watched at any given moment. How often, or on what system, the Thought Police plugged in on any individual wire was guesswork. It was even conceivable that they watched everybody all the time.” George Orwell, 1984

Offline Sy2004

• Apprentice member
  • What I wouldnt give to relive the 80's,
    • Profitable Tips UK
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2004, 23:32:02 PM »
Time machine needs inventing so we can go back in time to the 80's. Did you know the internet was invented by the US goverment back in the 60's and with the success it had it is now the biggest thing to hit our lives ever...so they say.

Roll on building that time machine I say (whoever is doing it)....lol
SY

Offline AndyR

• Pure80s Elite
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2004, 18:45:05 PM »
A Time machine gets my vote!

Theoretically it's possible to go back in time but you can't go forward simply because that hasn't happened yet. If you went back in time you couldn't return to your time of origin because the very fact you went back would have altered the time-line - and in that timeline the future hasn't occurred.

I say sod all that though - there must be a way around it! Let's all team up on this board and develop time travel together (and keep it to ourselves!)
"There was of course no way of knowing whether you were being watched at any given moment. How often, or on what system, the Thought Police plugged in on any individual wire was guesswork. It was even conceivable that they watched everybody all the time.” George Orwell, 1984

Offline Shytot

• My Other Can is Codswallop
  • Staff
  • Pure80s Elite
  • Hi ho Silver away - Ride into tomorrow today
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2004, 19:23:45 PM »
I'll keep an eye out for any De Loreans then ;)

Offline AndyR

• Pure80s Elite
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2004, 19:55:35 PM »
'If you're going to build a time machine into a car, you might as well do it with style.' - Doc Brown.

Offline icemaidnrebix

• Pure80s Elite
  • 80's Luvin Halfpint
Re: What to do with all these
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2005, 08:49:05 AM »
I'm not sure which computer my dad used to have back in 1985, it was either a spectrum or a sinclair....black keyboard I think with rubber keys....we used to play Nifty lifty and other games I've completely forgotten.......
I love 80's music!. Who needs drugs and alcohol when you have music.  I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.

Offline AndyR

• Pure80s Elite
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2005, 21:48:17 PM »
Nifty Lifty was released for the 48K Spectrum. There's a PC retro-remake of it available for download...

http://www.spacetimegames.co.uk/retro.htm

Here's a link to a decent spectrum emulator...

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Bay/9932/

and here's a link to download the game Nifty Lifty for use on the emulator...

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseek.cgi?regexp=^Nifty+Lifty$&pub=^Visions+Software+Factory$

Offline icemaidnrebix

• Pure80s Elite
  • 80's Luvin Halfpint
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2005, 06:44:23 AM »
Nifty Lifty was released for the 48K Spectrum. There's a PC retro-remake of it available for download...

http://www.spacetimegames.co.uk/retro.htm

Here's a link to a decent spectrum emulator...

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Bay/9932/

and here's a link to download the game Nifty Lifty for use on the emulator...

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseek.cgi?regexp=^Nifty+Lifty$&pub=^Visions+Software+Factory$

;D ;D..Nifty Lifty....I used to LOVE that game...blimey I haven't played it since 1988...unless Rubiks could add it the games list....wow.........
I love 80's music!. Who needs drugs and alcohol when you have music.  I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.

Offline AndyR

• Pure80s Elite
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2005, 17:44:45 PM »
That's a good idea!

How 'bout it Rubiks? Fancy sticking the Java based Speccy emulator and a few games on the site? One of the games has to be Chuckie Egg though!!!

http://www.spectrum.lovely.net/

or

http://www.twinbee.org/hob/index.php

Offline Rubikscube

• Got shot by StrangerWithin
  • Administrator
  • Pure80s Elite
  • Are You Real?
    • Pure 80s Pop
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2005, 19:08:37 PM »
 ::)I'll have a look into that. - Don't know where to add it though  :-\

EDIT: Does the sound work or is it me?
Rubikscube