Author Topic: The Buzzcocks  (Read 4917 times)

Offline Shytot

• My Other Can is Codswallop
  • Pure80s Elite
  • Hi ho Silver away - Ride into tomorrow today
The Buzzcocks
« on: May 05, 2008, 09:29:56 AM »
Went to see The Buzzcocks on Friday night (2nd May) @ The M Club in Crewe.

Quite an interesting venue, they seem to have quite a few bands on and cater for quite a range of musical tastes.
£2.40 for a pint of Boddingtons and most other drinks at pub prices - so not bad O0
Crewe is pretty accessible for people in the Northwest and even West Midlands.

The Buzzcocks have been touring for a few years now. It looks like it is always Shelley and Diggle with 2 others.
The are playing elsewhere in the UK - details on their website HERE

They were backed by a new New Wave band called Highwired - TBH we missed most of them because we were still in the pub :)

The Buzzcocks came on stage @ around 9:35 and went straight into Boredom and it didn't sound bad, although the acoustics in the club were a bit average.
They thrashed through another 15 tunes including several classics - Autonomy, Oh Sh!t, Whatever happened to, You Say You Don't Love Me, Breakdown ...
and finishing up with What Do I get, Promises and Harmony in my Head.
They then pretended to finish before the crowd made a gesture of asking for more and of course they popped back on for their encore of Girl From The Chainstore and Orgasm Addict before finishing off with the a version of the classic Fine Young Cannibals' hit ..... Ever Fallen In Love, although it wasn't quite as good as the original recording ;)
All in all they played 20 ish tunes in 75 minutes.

There was a mix of Shelley and Diggle compostions (4:1). I was never into the Diggle tunes quite so much and (some of) the live versions sounded a little too noisy with less discernible tune. Steve Diggle was also playing the part of the showman. He appeared to have some mates or regular fans and he was playing up for them - possibly overacting IMO. Nevertheless they did sound pretty good although they did seem to avoid too many of their more taxing (tuneful wise) songs.

The crowd was a mix of old and young and as the gig progressed everybody started to get into it and there was a degree of dancing / pogoing possibly beer infused (?)

As a nostalgia trip, this wasn't bad, £15 for a night out in Crewe and to hear some classic tunes not priceless but certainly worth it.

I'd probably go see them again but might need to have a few more beers beforehand.

Offline Viscount Discount

• Heir to a crumbling biscuit empire ....
  • Staff
  • Pure80s Elite
  • Don't stop the dance...
Re: The Buzzcocks
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 14:52:39 PM »
Nice review Shy.  O0

I saw The Buzzcocks in the mid-90s during their first 'comeback' and they sounded great.

Must've been a fair few pies on their rider though!  ;D
Bang bang, the mighty fall ...

Offline Cleo

• Black Country Wench
  • Pure80s Elite
  • Pointy ​sticks? Nah I'd rather use sharp wit...
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 15:45:12 PM »
I haven't seen The Buzzcocks since the 70's.

Sounds like a good night though on the whole, Shy.  O0

Offline QueenVictoria

• Pure80s Elite
  • Life's too short to drink cheap coffee
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 14:19:54 PM »
I haven't seen The Buzzcocks since the 70's.
Doesn't that make you feel old {groan}

Offline Cleo

• Black Country Wench
  • Pure80s Elite
  • Pointy ​sticks? Nah I'd rather use sharp wit...
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 14:58:03 PM »
Thanks for that QV!  :2funny: