Author Topic: Could this be RIP to my DVD Rom drive?  (Read 7122 times)

Offline StrangerWithin

• Administrator
  • Pure80s Elite
  • Do I Tweet? Do I F***!!!
    • KitchenRefits
Could this be RIP to my DVD Rom drive?
« on: January 02, 2009, 18:16:44 PM »
T'other day a CD shattered in one of my drives. I removed the drive from the PC and carefully took the top and bottom covers from it and removed all the shards left from the CD. However, after reinstalling the drive it now reads and writes to CD's but will only read a DVD and not burn them ??? ??? ???

Has anyone got any ideas/suggestions?

Chars O0

I have the body of a 19 year old. I keep it in the fridge.......................

Offline bigbaldbloke

• Cryptic Song Title Quiz Obsessive.
  • Pure80s Elite
  • Go on, I dare ya.
Re: Could this be RIP to my DVD Rom drive?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 18:24:08 PM »
Re-install the drivers first. As it's Plug &Play, it may have re-installed with just a basic CD-RW/DVD-ROM driver.

Offline David

• Old man in the making!
  • Pure80s Elite
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 18:27:55 PM »
If it's only a DVD-ROM drive as you said in the thread title chances are it's not meant to burn DVDs. ;) ;D

If it is a DVD-RW then you have a problem - as BBB said try reinstalling the drivers.

Offline StrangerWithin

• Administrator
  • Pure80s Elite
    • KitchenRefits
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 18:32:15 PM »
If it's only a DVD-ROM drive as you said in the thread title chances are it's not meant to burn DVDs. ;) ;D

As you gain in age David you will in time learn that nobody likes a smart arse ;)

@BBB

Re-install the drivers first. As it's Plug &Play, it may have re-installed with just a basic CD-RW/DVD-ROM driver.

Ah.....the drivers will be bundled with the OS which for this PC was Vista. I removed Vista when I first bought the PC a year ago and put XP on it so the drivers will have to be located on the net I guess. :-\

I have the body of a 19 year old. I keep it in the fridge.......................

juicefm

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 18:37:09 PM »
May have damaged the laser or knocked it out of alignment  :(

XP should support the drive natively, but you could reinstall the writing software which will reistall the ASPI layer.

Offline StrangerWithin

• Administrator
  • Pure80s Elite
    • KitchenRefits
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 18:57:25 PM »
May have damaged the laser or knocked it out of alignment  :(

XP should support the drive natively, but you could reinstall the writing software which will reistall the ASPI layer.

But if the laser was knocked out of sync Flash, would it not then be unable to read/write CD's?

juicefm

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 19:02:34 PM »
Possibly not, but DVD writing uses a different wavelength (650 nm) at which the laser diode head may be more sensitive to being scratched/whacked. Whatever it is it's obviously unique to the DVD writing section of the laser unit..... hmmmmmm......  :-\

Offline StrangerWithin

• Administrator
  • Pure80s Elite
    • KitchenRefits
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2009, 19:07:49 PM »
Possibly not, but DVD writing uses a different wavelength (650 nm) at which the laser diode head may be more sensitive to being scratched/whacked. Whatever it is it's obviously unique to the DVD writing section of the laser unit..... hmmmmmm......  :-\

Might just be simpler to pop to PC World and pay £30 for a new lightscribe unit :-\

juicefm

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2009, 19:10:37 PM »
True,

but I suppose if you were feeling dutiful......

Get a can of compressed air and blow it in the drive with the tray open, and/or clean the lens in case some crap from the shattered disc has adhered to it.....

Or maybe just get the new drive and be done with it  :D

Offline StrangerWithin

• Administrator
  • Pure80s Elite
    • KitchenRefits
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2009, 19:18:47 PM »
True,

but I suppose if you were feeling dutiful......

Get a can of compressed air and blow it in the drive with the tray open, and/or clean the lens in case some crap from the shattered disc has adhered to it.....

Or maybe just get the new drive and be done with it  :D

After already performing the cleaning suggested I may just plumb for the final suggestion ;D

Ive just tried rolling back the driver and am about to attempt burning a DVD+RW. I'll let you know..............

Offline Pin

• Part Time Staff
  • Pure80s Elite
  • Nobody can hear you scream in space
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 19:36:03 PM »
Well there is your Problem Burning Disc in your Driver is will end up Shattering llol

Offline StrangerWithin

• Administrator
  • Pure80s Elite
    • KitchenRefits
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 21:44:28 PM »
Just FYI, I declared the drive a gonna and bought a new Samsung drive from maplins. I'm sure I paid far too much but as PC World never had any SATA drives I had no sodding choice. :(