Author Topic: Your mobile phone  (Read 6137 times)

Offline obsdoc

• Warmer and fuzzier than a very warm and fuzzy thing.
  • Part Time Staff
  • Pure80s Elite
Your mobile phone
« on: August 17, 2011, 13:51:35 PM »
carrying this on from a conversation at work today..........considering the general throw away nature a lot of people seem to have with their mobiles i.e. every couple of months they upgrade to a new phone and usually change their number too - how long have you had either your current phone or your number, or do you chnage your's every few months too.

Me?  only on my third ever phone Samsung C3050 (and got that becuase the last phone broke!) and still have the same number from getting my first mobile phone in 1998!

Offline AndrewR

• The Quiz Master
  • Global Moderator
  • Pure80s Elite
    • Andrew Reids Rail Photos 2006 - 2008
Re: Your mobile phone
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 14:33:37 PM »
I am on "my" third mobile, got my first one in 1999.

Until very recently I only ever used a mobile for phoning home, but have started to use this one for other things like text messages, note taking and keeping up with what's happening on PEC when I'm not at home.

I also use the camera on this thing sometimes. ;D

For actual telephone conversations, I always use a landline where possible.

Offline obsdoc

• Warmer and fuzzier than a very warm and fuzzy thing.
  • Part Time Staff
  • Pure80s Elite
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 15:52:27 PM »

;D  very true Andrew, how many people actually use their phones for phone calls?  I know mine very rarely is used for this.

Offline Pin

• Part Time Staff
  • Pure80s Elite
  • Nobody can hear you scream in space
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 16:13:03 PM »
think I'm on my 4th phone in in 6 years, All the Other had faults, But repaired and Handed Down til the Gave up the Ghost
Changed My Number Once Cause Work Put My Mobile Number up on the Wall in the Office For All to See, So Fook them I Changed it And they Only have the Land Line Now

Use the T'internet Access And also the Modem Features
The Camera, And the MP3 Player
use the Record Feature (Sometimes in Meetings At Work)
Text And.... And.... Shock Horror ! ! ! !
I Use that App that Allows you to have A Vocal Conversation With Someone

There is A Feature that A Mobile is used for But No App ....... A door Bell
How Many People Ring or text Someone When that Are either at or Walking to the Door of A Friends ?

Offline David

• Old man in the making!
  • Pure80s Elite
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 19:21:40 PM »
I've had a total of 6 phones since I got my first one in 2001 although only 3 of these have been bought from new but had the same number right since then.

I mainly use it for the intended purpose however sometimes venture online with it although I make sure I stick to the limits of the contract (500 minutes, 3000 texts and 0.5GB internet). Never used the MP3 player as sound is hopeless although camera and voice recorder can be handy to catch that odd moment.

Offline andrea

• Dizzy blonde
  • Part Time Staff
  • Pure80s Elite
  • Champion Reflexer
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 19:47:04 PM »
I have had 6 phones,the first was a Siemens phone the size of a housebrick,which was 2nd hand and I had it till it broke,I then had 4 Nokias,the first fell apart,the 2nd got stolen,the third I gave away to a friend when Mr A gave me his N95 which was the bestest phone ever...until I left it in a taxi,then Mr A gave me his Sony Ericsson Walkman phone.I have kept the same number since the 2nd phone.I use it for texting,occasional phone calls,taking photos and listening to music on the bus. I have only actually bought 3 phones.

Offline Wingtipvortex

• Pure80s Elite
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 11:30:05 AM »
Have had about 6 mobile phones,  all just phones and nothing special. Latest im using is an iphone3. I use it for calls, txt messages, alarm, timer( for cooking ) angry birds, tiny wings, camera and my Marcus Bently app... ;D  " Oh no,  the wifes calling.....answer or dont answer....you decide :D

Didn't buy it though, it was a hand me down from the wife O0

If i ever did spend cash on a phone,  it would be an HTC with Android software.
Im Stephen King, and i wrote the damn thing!! ( first words spoken on the Shining dvd commentary )

Offline luckynickd

• Indigo Eyes
  • Pure80s Elite
  • it nearly went off in my hands
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 06:12:22 AM »
i am on my third - all simple nokias - all did what they said on the tin.

as long as they play mp3's (connected to car stereo)...and i use it as a "walkman" when out and about.

did buy a renault 19 in the very early nineties which you could have an optional on board phone but on a joint income of approx 30k, the other half and i didn't have a good enough credit rating to have one.

oh, and i did have a blackberry for work...but mainly for accessing emails whilst on the road.

Offline dava

• Pure80s Elite
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 20:08:03 PM »
i have a brick n70,if i had one of those new ones i would have emailed obs to put the kettle on when i was passing today. :)
Happy Days.

Offline Viscount Discount

• Heir to a crumbling biscuit empire ....
  • Pure80s Elite
  • Don't stop the dance...
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 08:04:05 AM »
I'm on my fourth. A not very smart Sony Erickson.  :-\

I keep meaning to replace it with something with Android apps, but not getting around to it.

I prefer phones with keyboards though to "jabphones" as Charlie Brooker terms them.

Mrs Discount has an iphone and I've seen both the advantages and disadvantages (like neglible battery time).
Bang bang, the mighty fall ...

Offline DIVA NO1

• Pure80s Elite
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2011, 18:34:17 PM »
I wouldn't like to think how many I have had overall/ or how many times I changed me number (but I always stayed with Orange!!):
Phillips
Nokia
Samsung
Sony Ericsson
Motorola etc.

At the mo got a Samsung Galaxy I9000 this is probably the 1st one I have used for anything besides phone calls and texts!
This is a mighty phone and use it for internet/reminders/calenders/radio........text of course but phone calls not really - in fact I've just droppped my service plan down to a reasonable level - more than enough minutes but plenty of texts and data et.

The thing is I now use it for so much I be bloody nackered if I lost it etc..