Author Topic: Commodore Amiga  (Read 23199 times)

Offline mickwill

• Apprentice member
  • Dad Dancing - they way to embarrass your Kids!!
Re:Commodore Amiga
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2004, 18:48:19 PM »
Speedball and IK+  ;D

You know there is an Amiga emulator for the PC called WinUAE. You need the kickstart ROM from an Amiga, if you buy the CD ROM version, the Kickstart is supplied on CD. Off to play 'Oh No - More Lemmings'  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline pdub

• Apprentice member
  • Good Greif !!
Re:Amos
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2004, 12:10:47 PM »
There is a brilliant PC games creating language called DarkBasic, I've seen rolling demos of other peoples code but will have to wait until Crimble to get the package for myself  >:(
Confused - but taking notes

Offline AndyR

• Pure80s Elite
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2004, 23:56:03 PM »
Dark Basic is OK but has some quirks that really irritate me. Not only that, some of the underlying code is quite slow (even on my fast PC) and you sometimes have to go around the houses to end up with the required result.
"There was of course no way of knowing whether you were being watched at any given moment. How often, or on what system, the Thought Police plugged in on any individual wire was guesswork. It was even conceivable that they watched everybody all the time.” George Orwell, 1984

Offline pdub

• Apprentice member
  • Good Greif !!
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2004, 12:50:58 PM »
I suppose the easier it is to write programs the more restricted you become in  how the program works.

I notice that Blitz Basic is available for the PC  - That was AMOS's only real competition 'back in the day'
Confused - but taking notes

Offline AndyR

• Pure80s Elite
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2004, 21:44:30 PM »
That's true. Blitz basic was slightly faster but not as user friendly. The one great thing about it was the fact that unlike Amos, it didn't take over your computer. When Amos ran, it ran on top of everything else* whereas Blitz multitasked and interacted with anything that was running - and also could use native Amiga windows, interacting fully with 'intuition' (intuition being the technical name for the full workbench GUI).

Blitz on PC is slightly better than Dark Basic IMO. Both have demo's so you can try them out though.

* = 3rd party additions have made it possible to make limited use of intuition from within Amos.
"There was of course no way of knowing whether you were being watched at any given moment. How often, or on what system, the Thought Police plugged in on any individual wire was guesswork. It was even conceivable that they watched everybody all the time.” George Orwell, 1984

Artmuzz

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2004, 14:50:39 PM »
Forget Games!! The Commodore Amiga was a brilliant MIDI sequencer. The only draw back was that unlike the Atari ST it did not have built in MIDI ports so you had to buy an interface for about £25. Once connected it was a joy to use when hooked up to a multi timbral MIDI keyboard. You could purchase really good software like octaMED and Music X which was packed with professional features. :D  I miss my Amiga A500 for making music :'(

Back to games, I liked the theme tune for Deflektor 8)

Artmuzz

Offline AndyR

• Pure80s Elite
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2004, 20:29:41 PM »
Octamed was brilliant - 8 channels of music from a four channel computer! Then along came Octamed Soundstudio which allowed as many channels as the processor allowed - and version 2 is due out soon!

http://www.medsoundstudio.com//amiga.htm - the last version (1.03c) is free to download and works fine using WinUAE for emulation. The great thing is that it can load different format audio files including PC .wav files.

As you rightly point out though, the Amiga was superb computer for midi sequencing but the one thing Atari got right was to include midi ports on the ST - the vast majority of studio based technicians didn't realise that it would only have been neglible in cost to add midi connectors to the Amiga.

Bars and Pipes is still being updated...
http://www.alfred-j-faust.de/BnPNewScreen2.jpg

http://www.amigaremix.com/ - remixed amiga game music

http://www.back2roots.org/Music/Games/ - original mod files from games

Offline carlspenc1

• Apprentice member
  • Welcome to Pure80spop
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2005, 20:07:21 PM »
The AMIGA A600 is still the king of all computer`s
and Bill gates stole Amiga Dos` only to revamp it  and rename it WINDOWS ? necky sod.

how could you forget ALIEN BREED or MEAN AREAN`S ?

I still love to play SWOS from time to time  ;D

CELTIC LEGENDS was my all time favourite AMIGA GAME.

if you love AMIGA`s Go here :-

http://cpc464.back2roots.org/
KEEP THE FAITH AND BE A NUT LIKE ME

Offline AndyR

• Pure80s Elite
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2005, 20:12:34 PM »
Here's a link to my latest Amiga game...

www.andysplace.fsnet.co.uk/textrisv6.htm

Doesn't look too shabby for a 15 year old computer does it ?!

Offline Simön Lé Brit † ™

• Pure80s Elite
  • Pure 60s Deelite
    • The Parallel Universe
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2005, 13:35:30 PM »
I loved playing Lemmings.. that was an amiga game right ??  :)
TIME FLIES LIKE AN ARROW ...FRUIT FLIES LIKE A BANANA .... SLeB "Call Me Si everybody else does"

Offline 80sMayboy

• Welcome to Pure80spop
    • Retro Gaming
Re: Commodore Amiga
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2005, 18:16:09 PM »
Ive been getting into the Amiga recently and am loving Darkseed, great game! :)

Offline AndyR

• Pure80s Elite
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2005, 21:37:51 PM »
http://hol.abime.net/

Information on almost every game released for Amiga!

http://hol.abime.net/273 - Darkseed!

I've never actually played Darkseed so I'll give it try tonight!

Offline Insomniak

• Apprentice member
  • Ninja Skills
    • FRANKIE SAY RELAX Tshirts
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2006, 21:31:32 PM »

I loved making music on my Amiga500, I had a 12" techno/house single put out using Octamed, a home built sampler and midi gear.

Amiga owners seem to be rather attached/loyal, squeezing power out of the machines years after they were basically obsolete!

Offline Lord Villa

• Don't quote me on that
  • Pure80s Elite
  • Never forget
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2007, 15:25:06 PM »
Couldn't you buy a piano type keyboard to fit over the computer keyboard so you could play music on it?

Offline Sal Collaziano

• Apprentice member
    • 80sxchange.com
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2007, 05:27:06 AM »
RIGHT before I got started on the internet, I bought a used Amiga 500 from a friend.  It was much more sophisticated than my older Vic 20 or Commodore 64.  I'd always wanted an Amiga but never got one.  I only used this computer for a VERY short time as I realized the internet was "the way" of the future and moved on.  This, however, wasn't until 1996! :o
Sal Collaziano