Author Topic: Sinclair ZX-81  (Read 13367 times)

Offline mickwill

• Apprentice member
  • Dad Dancing - they way to embarrass your Kids!!
Sinclair ZX-81
« on: August 18, 2004, 18:52:03 PM »
I'm surprised no one has put a thread up on the ZX-81.

I built mine from a kit and spent way to manny hours writing programs in BASIC.

Who also suffered from RAM-pack wobble?

Or had their mum unplug it when it was running a really big program that had taken a week to write and not yet saved to tape?

Oh the joys.....

Offline AndyR

• Pure80s Elite
Re:Sinclair ZX-81
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2004, 22:32:26 PM »
How did you have a 'really big program' with only a 16k ram expansion?! (did you have the 64k ram pack?)

Never had or used one but have read up on it. That keyboard must have been hell to type on! Also using fast mode must have been a pain - with the display disappearing when the ZX81 was doing intensive work!

It's amazing what that little thing could be made to do - like using the cassette port to produce audio - high res graphics - colour graphics (amazing considering the ZX81 is a black and white computer) - it even played chess on the basic 1K model.

It was a landmark machine, no question about it.

http://www.nvg.ntnu.no/sinclair/computers/zx81/zx81.htm
"There was of course no way of knowing whether you were being watched at any given moment. How often, or on what system, the Thought Police plugged in on any individual wire was guesswork. It was even conceivable that they watched everybody all the time. George Orwell, 1984

Offline Cam

• The Boys Are Back In Town...
  • Pure80s Elite
  • This was an awfully big marine
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2004, 06:50:04 AM »
Believe me, it appeared to be a really big program when you had to type it all in manually, then watch a blocky aeroplane fly across the screen and you dropped a blocky bomb on some blocky houses  ;D Aaaah, memories!
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public

Offline badger

• Welcome to Pure80spop
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2004, 08:03:37 AM »
Oh the days of RAM pack wobble.  I remember them well.

I agree Cam typing any program in with that keyboard made it seem massive.

Also, remember various versions of Bomber, great game, minutes of amusement...

3D Monster Maze anyone???

Offline Top Cat's pal

• Marvellous mechanical mouse organ for sale
    • The home of Marillion
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2004, 15:04:35 PM »
Oh the days of RAM pack wobble.  I remember them well.
I used a LARGE chunk of blue-tac stuck between the RAM pack and the back of the machine to stop it wobbling! It usually worked...

3D Monster Maze anyone???
Ooooooooo, yes please!!! I seem to remember that 3d Monster Maze took about 7 minutes to load, which - when you were never sure if it was going to work, or just reset once it got to the end of the recorded program - was a VERY long time!
You can screw a man down, until he takes to drinking,
He'll give you all of his money, but you still won't know what he's thinking....

Offline Top Cat's pal

• Marvellous mechanical mouse organ for sale
    • The home of Marillion
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2004, 15:05:48 PM »
And I never did get the hang of entering machine code.... all those meaningless hexadecimal entries that never did anything whatsoever....  :'(
You can screw a man down, until he takes to drinking,
He'll give you all of his money, but you still won't know what he's thinking....

Offline Shytot

• My Other Can is Codswallop
  • Staff
  • Pure80s Elite
  • Hi ho Silver away - Ride into tomorrow today
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2004, 16:29:00 PM »
And I never did get the hang of entering machine code.... all those meaningless hexadecimal entries that never did anything whatsoever....  :'(

Without that Hexadecimal stuff - you wouldn't be on this board or the internet or you PC now ::)

In fact your Archos wouldn't be much cop either  :P

Offline pdub

• Apprentice member
  • Good Greif !!
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2004, 07:16:20 AM »
Ah yes....typing in programs from magazines, pressing a button too hard, wobbling the ram pack, crashing the machine, typing it in again...ad infinitum. How fast half terms used to go, spent that way.
Confused - but taking notes

Offline pdub

• Apprentice member
  • Good Greif !!
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2004, 07:18:14 AM »
I remember there being another ZX81 style machine available, with blue rubber keys  -it wasn't the spectrum, it had a white case and was only programmable in the language 'Forth' - any remember the name of it?
Confused - but taking notes

ANDRExxx

Re: Sinclair ZX-81
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2005, 21:21:03 PM »
In 2005, the ZX81 or the T/S1000 are still going strong. Since March 2004 I have been releasing a NEW and FREE program on the web every months. Program like "INZXEC", a mind game with 36 different levels that holds in only 16KB of ram. The program was reviewed in the RETRO GAMER issue 12. There is also "ZXOKO-BAN" which was a smashing hit at the last ZX-TEAM club annual meeting on the week-end of the 5 and 6 March. Unfortunately, I was deny the opportunity to give you the web site address by the moderator. Look in the section RECOMMENDED WEB SITES, maybe It will be acceptable there. Then we will be able to discuss the the pictures, the newsletters, the programs and the computers.  ANDRExxx

EDIT BY ADMIN:

You only come on here to promote your site - If you are here to contribute to the board not a problem but your not. Any links will be deleted. You have been warned many times.

Offline Pin

• Part Time Staff
  • Pure80s Elite
  • Nobody can hear you scream in space
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2005, 21:57:19 PM »
Oh yes I remember giving me mum loads of grief to get me a ZX81 when they first came out.
Punched on them keys for hours going through the basic book.
After about 8 weeks I had broke it, you know I couldn't say a thing to my mum, she'd of killed me

Found the 2 manuals last month in the loft ????? still in v good condition after all these years????????? never had the heart to throw them away.

Offline scouser

• Apprentice member
  • here in my car i feel safest of all
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2005, 09:35:45 AM »
ohhh yes the old zx spectrum 81......
jesus......i remember my m8 having one ...he was playing a game not sure what it was but i remember the little mans legs didnt move

do you remember the spectrum zx 48k.......
jesus that brings the memories flooding back......we were never off it......ELITE what a game.....4 fingers on a little keyboard i would control the up and down and fire button...my m8 would control the left and right.....then we would have to dock it manualy(a nightmare) until we could buy a docking computer lol
ohhhhhhhh yes never off it
all loaded in by tape recorder.......i remember when the game had loaded in you had to put thin gadget thingymajig up against the tv screen to see what coad you had to put in
take care all

Offline luckynickd

• Indigo Eyes
  • Pure80s Elite
  • it nearly went off in my hands
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2005, 18:08:00 PM »
from my ZX81, with wobbling RAM and till-roll printer, i upgraded to a speccy, Aquarius (US make), then  C64, then Amiga 500, then Amiga 1200, then my first PC...all that technology and i still miss going into Dixons and typing:

10 print "nick"
20 goto 10
run

happy daze :)

Offline Troubadour

• Spot the Personal Trainer...
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2006, 14:30:19 PM »
Ah, the ZX81 was a great wee computer. Before we got the extra RAM pack to play 3D Monster Maze my favourite game was REACT. All it consisted of was a ">" at the top of the screen which flew left to right and got lower and lower. The aim was to press a "fire" key and drop a dot onto a target below before your ">" got to the bottom of the screen and crashed. It was no wonder we all thought 3D Monster Maze was amazing, even it if did crash all the time.

In 1986, after 5 years loyal service, I sold my ZX81 to a mate for what I thought was a rip-off price of 45 (I felt guilty for charging him so much). I wish I'd kept it now.

juicefm

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2006, 22:46:07 PM »

I wrote a program from a computer mag called 'C5 racer' which actually worked first time (no bugs) and was reasonably playable believe it or not.