Author Topic: Amstrad 464  (Read 4909 times)

Offline madmarkie

• Welcome to Pure80spop
    • MAD MUISC
Amstrad 464
« on: January 15, 2005, 22:07:02 PM »
i had the Amstrad 464 Tap drive on Boy did that take a while to Load and then at the end you get ! ERROR ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRR anoter 2 hours to wait for it to load :( but then it was cool ;-)

did anyone else have the Amstrad 464
Why Do we ever listend to this kind of Music ?
Becaue were are MAD.... Well at lest the 80s music still with us

Offline 80sMayboy

• Welcome to Pure80spop
    • Retro Gaming
Re:Amstrad 464
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2005, 13:02:41 PM »
My mate had a CPC.  I used to go round there all the time because he had Bomb Jack. i then bought the C64 version only to find that the gameplay was terrible and so much different than the game i had been used to enjoying over there lol

I love using the TAP files with emulators today :) It may take a long time but that retro feeling comes through alot more, and fortunately no TAP file is uploaded unless it works 100% so no dissapointments ;)

Offline madmarkie

• Welcome to Pure80spop
    • MAD MUISC
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2005, 13:39:05 PM »
Yep i rember Bomb Jack that was cool ;) but then my tape wouldnt work Boy the number of time those tape got trow at the wall after 2hours or trying to load it :(

Offline AndyR

• Pure80s Elite
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2005, 17:06:33 PM »
CPC Bomb Jack is still a great game to play and is the best 8 bit version bar none.

TAP files are all very well for the retro purist but IMHO one of the bug bears of tape based system always was the length of time a program took to load and as we have the technology to bypass that time then I see nothing wrong in making use of that technology.

Can you imagine having to wait an absolute age for you current computers operating system (E.G. Win XP) to load off tape only to end up with Read error a or Read error b on your screen!!!!

@mad markie - I remember a CPC program I was programming that I saved onto 2 different cassettes. It had taken me days and was near completion and both tapes became corrupted! I physically threw my CPC across the room - it still works though! Oh and Bombjack had quite a short loading time as it's really a very simplistic (yet addictive) game. Sultans Maze that came free with the CPC took 17 minutes to load - and was absolute total pants!
"There was of course no way of knowing whether you were being watched at any given moment. How often, or on what system, the Thought Police plugged in on any individual wire was guesswork. It was even conceivable that they watched everybody all the time.” George Orwell, 1984

Offline 80sMayboy

• Welcome to Pure80spop
    • Retro Gaming
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2005, 17:49:54 PM »
Anyone own any of the Dizzy adventures on the CPC? These were the highlight of my gaming experience with one :)

The Amstrad versions were the only ones where Dizzy had a little Green outline to him, this made me immediately prefer it ;-)

Offline madmarkie

• Welcome to Pure80spop
    • MAD MUISC
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2005, 22:04:53 PM »
Anyone own any of the Dizzy adventures on the CPC? These were the highlight of my gaming experience with one :)

The Amstrad versions were the only ones where Dizzy had a little Green outline to him, this made me immediately prefer it ;-)

yes i had all of then :)

Offline AndyR

• Pure80s Elite
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2005, 23:29:10 PM »
I've still got them on my CPC and on Amiga.

The original is the best though...
http://www.cpcgamereviews.com/d/index4.html
"There was of course no way of knowing whether you were being watched at any given moment. How often, or on what system, the Thought Police plugged in on any individual wire was guesswork. It was even conceivable that they watched everybody all the time.” George Orwell, 1984

Belta

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2005, 23:27:39 PM »
I have fond memories of my Amstrad CPC 464. The overweight monitor, the user friendly joystick..not. What about the games; Emlyn Hughes International Soccer, Jeremy's clock and Rampage-the deadly monsters that smashed everything in sight.. An era in its own rite.

Offline carlspenc1

• Apprentice member
  • Welcome to Pure80spop
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2005, 19:58:46 PM »
 ;D yes` I had a AMSTRAD CPC464  :P,
They were very advanced for that time and they were the ONLY pc that had more than six colour`s too .... lol.

I would often rush out and buy that cool mag` with the program`s in them, you would spend hours typing the line numbers in and await that magical moment when the program would run ? .... of course they never did  ??? and you would spend the next few days re-typing the whole thing in again .... only to realise that you had missed out a full stop or semi-colon
off one line number  >:( .... such was life back then.
great days and I miss them dearly.
KEEP THE FAITH AND BE A NUT LIKE ME