Author Topic: George Best - Sad news about the deterioration of his condition  (Read 2386 times)

Offline Cam

• The Boys Are Back In Town...
  • Pure80s Elite
  • This was an awfully big marine
George Best - Sad news about the deterioration of his condition
« on: November 24, 2005, 15:48:06 PM »
It's sad to see the condition of George Best deteriorate and see the media circus watching him slip away. Having known members of the family in the past, and been in their house, I have to say that the family are very dignified in their handling of this. I know what it's like for a family member to be slipping away, it must be ten times worse to see it on every TV and newspaper. It must be particularly difficult for his Father thingyie, who is in very poor health himself.

I have been critical of him in the past for his behaviour and abuse of his body, especially of a donated liver, but watching this has made me regret anything I've said. He deserves to go with dignity and I wish him a pain free and speedy passing. It sounds strange to wish someone on their way, but in this sort of case, it's a terrible time for him and his family and a swift release would be the best thing all round.

Despite all his faults, he was a magnificent player in his day, that's what he will be remembered for I hope, unfortunately it's more likely he'll be remembered for his alcoholism and excesses.
We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public

Offline tearsforfearsfan

• Secret Duranie........
  • Pure80s Elite
  • Head over Heels.....
Re: Sad news about the deterioration of George Best
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2005, 15:54:49 PM »
I totally agree Cam.

It is really sad to see the way the media are just watching and waiting for him to pass away and it must be devastating for his family.  I was shocked to see how ill he looked in that picture in the papers but I feel it was very brave of him to do that for the sake of others, and I will always have respect for him becaues of that.

I've never been a Man Utd fan (Dixie Dean is my football hero) but I recognise a fantastic footballer when I see one and he certainly was fantastic in his day.

My thoughts are with him and his family x