Author Topic: MSX  (Read 2253 times)

Offline Troubadour

• Spot the Personal Trainer...
MSX
« on: April 05, 2006, 15:20:14 PM »
Back in the latter half of the 80s the Japanese were trying to get into the family computer market but in a way that had never been done before (or not to my knowledge). Several of the big technology companies, Sony, Sanyo, Mitsubishi, Toshiba, Yamaha (those I can remember) joined forces and brought out their own versions of the same computer - the MSX. They looked different but the games and hardware were compatible. I would never have got one if it weren't for the little shop near my house that sold all things Japanese. They may even have supplied geisha girls for all I know but I was too young to be asked "anything for the weekend sir?" All I did was stick my nose up against the window as I walked by on my way home and dreamt of having enough money to buy a 700 Sharp computer that could do my maths homework at a touch of a button and my history essays that would get my teacher asking me "why is your summary of the Napoleonic war in Japanese?" Then, all of a sudden, the MSX appeared in the shop window and at an affordable price. I think I bought the Toshiba version for about 80. I used to love spending hours in front of the TV twiddling my joystick (can I say that without getting banned?). It was a DKTronics joystick, one of the best I've ever encountered. I played Galaxia for hours, and Vampire, and BMX. I spilt coke all over the keyboard and got my fingers trapped in the cartridge slot. Yes, I loved that plastic lump of oriental wizardry and I still have it. I'm very attached to it, mostly because my hand is still stuck in the slot.

Anyone else have one? Or knew someone who had one?

juicefm

Re: MSX
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 22:41:49 PM »

Yeah, I had a Sony 'HitBit' that I bought 2nd hand from someone complete with a few games (hiper viper springs to mind).

All I remember is that it smelt like a hot water bottle when it warmed up!

Offline luckynickd

• Indigo Eyes
  • Pure80s Elite
  • it nearly went off in my hands
Re: MSX
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 20:21:07 PM »
about the same time i had an Aquarius, which was from the USA but never really took off...i think it was in the market as the MSX but failed due to one problem..t'was sh1te