Author Topic: Tears For Fears Hammersmith Carling Apollo Monday 3rd May 2005  (Read 4590 times)

Offline Simön Lé Brit † ™

• Pure80s Elite
  • Pure 60s Deelite
    • The Parallel Universe
TFF started off with Songs from their New Album "Everybody Loves A Happy Ending" but it only took them until four songs in before we hit more familiar territory , cue adulation and arm waving as the strains of "Sowing The Seeds" drifted across the huge stage area.
  Thinking we might be in for a greatest hit package after that , Roland swiftly announced , as if by way of reminder "We have a New album out , which is why we are here, called Everybody Loves A Happy Ending.." and so next we were treated to a rendition of the title track. This was followed by a much slowed down version of Mad World.
  Roland and Curt seemed more at ease with the new songs than pandering to the audiences desires to hear old classics . This was very much a new album promotion rather than a greatest hits package , but all in all the new material stands up well even if it lends itself too heavily to Beatles influences at times.
  TFF played for a little under 90 minutes giving us Pale Shelter, Everybody Wants to Rule The World (which got the biggest cheer) and Roland was in playful mood encouraging the audience to sing parts of Head Over Heels  back to him whilst a non plussed Curt just didnt look comfy with that Idea at all. The evening ended with an encore of Woman In Chains and the parting gift of Shout which seemed to be going through the motions to say the least.
    Over all it was an enjoyable show but TFF seemed a little distant at times, which is a shame because because it could have done with being a little bit livelier at times :)

Older songs played .. Sowing The Seeds , Mothers Talk, Everybody Wants To Rule The world, Pale Shelter, Mad World, Head Over Heels , Tears Roll Down , Woman In Chains, Shout.

TIME FLIES LIKE AN ARROW ...FRUIT FLIES LIKE A BANANA .... SLeB "Call Me Si everybody else does"

Offline Viscount Discount

• Heir to a crumbling biscuit empire ....
  • Staff
  • Pure80s Elite
  • Don't stop the dance...
Re: Tears For Fears Hammersmith Carling Apollo Monday 3rd May 2005
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 12:05:08 PM »
Does Roland still look like a Latino rabbit, Si?
Bang bang, the mighty fall ...

• Pure80s Elite
  • Pure 60s Deelite
    • The Parallel Universe
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 12:15:11 PM »
These days he is sporting a King of Spain haircut past his shoulders and looking as tanned as ever having just moved to LA. Someone took a photo of Myself and Roland and of Myself and Curt, which If they remember to email me I will post up on here ;)
TIME FLIES LIKE AN ARROW ...FRUIT FLIES LIKE A BANANA .... SLeB "Call Me Si everybody else does"

Offline Youngster

• Apprentice member
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 22:45:35 PM »
Thanks for the review SLB, here's mine from the Brum gig.........

I have seen they guys many many times and waited so long for them to come back to the UK. It was well worth the wait at Birmingham NIA The last time I saw TFF on the seeds of love tour, I saw them at Sheffield City Hall – too long ago!

What a superb concert. It’s great to see the lads friendship has come back and how they have matured since Seeds of Love. What a shame 15 years have passed since we last saw them. A huge time wasted!!!!!!!!!!! Lets hope that we see them in the UK again within a couple of years.

Wow - the performance, as ever was great, with fantastic musicianship from all the band.. They were so great together, well rehearsed and perfect – well, to my ears anyways. As we drove home we commented that we have never seen a bad concert by TFF.

The set list was:

(Famous Last Words intro)
Secret World
Call Me Mellow
Who You Are
Sowing the Seeds of Love
Closest Thing to Heaven
Everybody Loves a Happy Ending
The Devil
Mad World (new version)
Quiet Ones
Size of Sorrow
Snow Hill (curt solo+acoustic)
Who Killed Tangerine
Break it Down Again
Everybody Wants to Rule the World
Pale Shelter
Head Over Heels

Encore:

Woman in Chains
Shout

I have had the new album since it came out in the UK and love it, but would have liked a more mixed set, well, really, just a longer one, so as to hear more from the 1st 3 albums.

I thought the band deserved much better than what they got from a very subdued audience. It seemed as though hardly any of the crowd upstairs had listened to the new album – and one thing you can say about TFF, they may only bring one album out every 10 yrs but when they do , they always produce. I was a little surprised (but delighted) when they started playing the new album. Half the audience were sat there with right faces on them. What is up with you people – they were fantastic just like back in 85, the only problem is, half the crowd have stayed in 85. The whole performance was bob on and I thought Head over Heels and Mad world were excellent. All in All a great night and a great performance – I just hope they get a better crowd on the rest of the tour.

Highlight of the night was the fantastic "break it down again" forgotten was a great tune that is, and works really well live.

Contrary to what i'd read Curt seemed to love every minute, he seemed a little nervous at the start but really warmed up and the two showed that they really are buddies deep down, Curt remarked that they are in their "30th year".

I thought half the audience were not really 'into' TFF and simply came along for the nostalgia element which was a shame, as there was no real atmosphere (and I was only 5 rows from the front).

The performance was 1st class, but the majority of the crowd were really not up for this, a combination of too many of them being there just for the oldies and the venue not having that close up and personal atmosphere. I hope the guys return soon and get the adulation their show richly deserves.

So, please don't leave it another 15 years (ish) and do more shows and smaller venues (like the US tour recently)

No doubt that TFF are back on top form, lets keep it going. If you haven’t already bought the album – THEN GO AND GET IT!!!! NOW!!!! You’re missing a treat if you don’t  Its really important that we support all our fave bands from the 80's, so go and get the cd!!!! Only by buying the cd's etc can they keep doing the concerts we all love to go and see.

Offline Youngster

• Apprentice member
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 22:46:31 PM »
Ooops, sorry, was that too long? (I am a fan in case you didn't notice!)

• Pure80s Elite
  • Pure 60s Deelite
    • The Parallel Universe
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 22:55:07 PM »
Some people at Hammersmith had that same "Sit Down Stony face" reaction but mostly people on the monday enjoyed it, I know two people that went to the tuesday show and found that most of the audience reacted in the same way as you described the Birmingham crowd doing.
  Curt made jokes about Roland's resemblance to Lawrence Lewellyn (sp?) Bowen at every opportunity apparently.
  I couldnt keep a straight face during Curts Mid atlantic but Londonderry sounding accent. Snow Hill for those that dont know is a council estate in Bath where Curt grew up, it was described as being the worst place in Bath to live , which is tantamount to saying that the East Wing of Windsor castle is the worst part of Windsor Castle to live in  ;)

Offline Youngster

• Apprentice member
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2005, 23:03:30 PM »
SLB said:

Snow Hill for those that dont know is a council estate in Bath where Curt grew up, it was described as being the worst place in Bath to live , which is tantamount to saying that the East Wing of Windsor castle is the worst part of Windsor Castle to live in   

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Yep, very true........what a terrible upbringing!

Youngster

• Pure80s Elite
  • Pure 60s Deelite
    • The Parallel Universe
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2005, 23:07:29 PM »
Curt was made to look really silly after making that statement about Snowhill in 1981 as half an hour down the road the St Pauls district of Bristol did somewhat erupt that very summer in rioting ;)